Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom

Default Formula won't calculate...

I copied a sumif formula accorss a worksheet, and then tried to make some
changes to the formula in one of the cells. When I made the change, the
formula discontinued working and became text . For example, I typed the
following in the cell:

=2+2

The result was =2+2, not 4 as it should have been. I know the cell is
formatted as text. Why did this happen? What prevents a formula from
changing automatically to text?

Many thanks..

--
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Because the cell is formatted as text, anything entered into that cell-
including what would be a formula anywhere else- is treated as text.
This can be a tool (for instance, to display a formula, or to enter
telephone numbers or zip codes) or a hindrance (what shows onscreen
will sort alphabetically instead of numerically).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom

Since it's a hindrance to what I'm trying to accomplish, how do I stop it
from happening?

--
Tom

"Dave O" wrote:

Because the cell is formatted as text, anything entered into that cell-
including what would be a formula anywhere else- is treated as text.
This can be a tool (for instance, to display a formula, or to enter
telephone numbers or zip codes) or a hindrance (what shows onscreen
will sort alphabetically instead of numerically).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Sorry for the delay, didn't see your post.

Change the format of the cells in question from text to numeric before
copying.