Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
2pojeff

Default Letters and Number formulas

I trying to write a formula where if I input any letter into a cell I want
the adjacent cell to display the alphebtic number of that letter.

Where A=1 B=2 etc etc Z=26

Example.

I put letter d in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 4
I put letter z in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Try this in B2, where A2 contains the letter:

=CHAR(UPPER(A2))-64

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

Try:

=IF(A8="","",IF(OR(CODE(UPPER(A8))<65,CODE(UPPER(A 8))91),"Not a
Letter",CODE(UPPER(A8))-64))

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"2pojeff" wrote in message
I trying to write a formula where if I input any letter into a cell I want
the adjacent cell to display the alphebtic number of that letter.

Where A=1 B=2 etc etc Z=26

Example.

I put letter d in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 4
I put letter z in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
2pojeff

Hello Sandy

I typed this formula into cell B9 and entered a letter in cell A8 this did
not work.

"2pojeff" wrote in message
I trying to write a formula where if I input any letter into a cell I want
the adjacent cell to display the alphebtic number of that letter.

Where A=1 B=2 etc etc Z=26

Example.

I put letter d in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 4
I put letter z in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I'd try it again, but use =code()

=CODE(UPPER(A2))-64

2pojeff wrote:

Nope this did not work

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Try this in B2, where A2 contains the letter:

=CHAR(UPPER(A2))-64

Hope this helps.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael M

Hi
Why don't you create a VLOOKUP.
eg.
Put letters A....D in cells A1 to A26 and numbers in B1 to B26

then use =VLOOKUP(Cell, A1:B26,2, False) to find the number that corresponds
to the letter.

The table can even be put on a different sheet.

HTH
Michael

"2pojeff" wrote in message
I trying to write a formula where if I input any letter into a cell I want
the adjacent cell to display the alphebtic number of that letter.

Where A=1 B=2 etc etc Z=26

Example.

I put letter d in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 4
I put letter z in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

What were the results?

What is "did not work"?

Sandy's formula and the shorter one from Dave P. both work for me.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"2pojeff" wrote in message
I trying to write a formula where if I input any letter into a cell I want
the adjacent cell to display the alphebtic number of that letter.

Where A=1 B=2 etc etc Z=26

Example.

I put letter d in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 4
I put letter z in cell A2 I then want cell B2 to display 26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

2pojeff" wrote in message
... Hello Sandy

I typed this formula into cell B9 and entered a letter in cell A8 this did
not work.

It works for me - although I would think that it would make more sense if
you typed it into B8 not B9 but it will work in any cell.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Thanks for the correction, Dave - I rushed it!

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael M

Dont'cha just love trying to help with a bit of input, and then getting a nil
response whatsoever from the OP.
We all have a diffrent spin on a question, but it would be nice to know
which way the user goes. Why do we bother !!!

Michael M.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

2pojeff" wrote in message
... Hello Sandy

I typed this formula into cell B9 and entered a letter in cell A8 this did
not work.

It works for me - although I would think that it would make more sense if
you typed it into B8 not B9 but it will work in any cell.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ragdyer

<<<"Why do we bother !!!"

Because we enjoy doing it ... with or without any appreciation!

And we realize that many posters are inexperienced with using these NGs, and
therefore are very easily confused and unable to even find their own OPs,
much less carry on any extended conversation with other responders.

RD

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

2pojeff" wrote in message
... Hello Sandy

I typed this formula into cell B9 and entered a letter in cell A8 this

did
not work.

It works for me - although I would think that it would make more sense

if
you typed it into B8 not B9 but it will work in any cell.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Johnson

Hi Ragdyer,
I'm still struggling with some of the acronyms. My kids are always
ribbing me about it!
OP=?

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Desert Piranha

Ken Johnson Wrote:
Hi Ragdyer,
I'm still struggling with some of the acronyms. My kids are always
ribbing me about it!
OP=?

Ken JohnsonHi Ken,

I believe "OP" = "Original Post"

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534791

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Johnson

Hi Desert Piranha,

Thanks for that, it makes more sense then "Other Person" or
"Operational Problem":-)

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael M

Hi RD
You're absolutely right, of course.
I guess the good old days of thanks are long gone....I must be getting old.
But I dooo enjoy doing it all the same

Michael M

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

2pojeff" wrote in message
... Hello Sandy

I typed this formula into cell B9 and entered a letter in cell A8 this

did
not work.

It works for me - although I would think that it would make more sense

if
you typed it into B8 not B9 but it will work in any cell.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

Depending on context, it refers to either:

Original PostER
OR
Original Post

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Ken Johnson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Desert Piranha,

Thanks for that, it makes more sense then "Other Person" or
"Operational Problem":-)

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Ken

You can search for usenet acronyms here...........

http://silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 23 Apr 2006 19:12:36 -0700, "Ken Johnson" wrote:

Hi Ragdyer,
I'm still struggling with some of the acronyms. My kids are always
ribbing me about it!
OP=?

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions