Guardian

Default External Links on open and Excel 2003

khoff Wrote:
I am opening a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that contains
links to external sources. This spreadsheet was created
in Excel 97. When I open it, I am prompted to update or
not update. I choose don't update, as I don't have the
linked files. BUT, it seems that Excel tries to update
anyway because it is the same result as if I hit update,
and all of my values are gone. This seems to be a change
from excel 97 as excel 97 left the values.

Any ideas? I likely have a default setting incorrect
somewhere.

Thanks!

---

I am opening a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that contains
links to external sources also but it was created
in Excel XP. When I open it, I get the same error as you.
The only thing i can find on this problem is that it is a cell
formating change from the older versions to 2003. If
Anyone knows of a fix or what setting is off please let me
know.

Thanks!

Guardian

--
GuardianPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Dave Peterson

xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

Maybe it'll work for you.

Guardian wrote:

khoff Wrote:
[...]

Guardian

I tried the registry edit and it worked for part of the problem. Now
when I tell it not to update it will leave the last saved data. But
the rest of the problem where it should update the external links does
not work still. Thank you very much for the registry information it
helped allot but if anyone knows the answer to the rest of the problem
PLEASE let me know.

--
GuardianPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access