Doug

Default Excel 2000 file when opened in Excel 2003 generates errors?

Ok - Im going crazy with this one.

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I get the
following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers the file
(sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have tried this on
two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results. NOTE: Excel 2000
opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and reinstalled. No
luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Suggestions??

--
..
Frank Kabel

Hi
does this happen with all files or only a single one. If the latter: sounds
like a corrupted file for me

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Doug wrote:
Ok - Im going crazy with this one.

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I
get the following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers
the file (sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have
tried this on two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results.
NOTE: Excel 2000 opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and
reinstalled. No luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Suggestions??

Stephen Bullen

Hi Doug,

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I get the
following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers the file
(sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have tried this on
two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results. NOTE: Excel 2000
opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and reinstalled. No
luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Sounds like a corrupted file. Try opening it in Excel 2002, saving as XML (with
a different name) and reopening it, then copy across the charts, VBProject etc
that saving as XML strips out.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.oaltd.co.uk

Doug

This file has seen many "versions" as its improved. the "old" ones can be
opened in 2000 and 2003 only lately the newer versions can still only be
opened in 2000, not 2003.

If it can still be opened in excel 2000 - how do we "find" this corruption?
Excel itself didnt really give a good clues....

"Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel
attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been
lost or corrupted."

Doug wrote:
Ok - Im going crazy with this one.

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I
get the following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers
the file (sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have
tried this on two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results.
NOTE: Excel 2000 opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and
reinstalled. No luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Suggestions??

Dave Peterson

I don't own xl2003, but if you do File|saveas, do you see an option for "XML
Spreadsheet *.XML" in the save as type box at the bottom of the dialog?

If that didn't help, maybe opening the workbook in OpenOffice and saving there
would clean it up enough for excel to accept it.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services (costs
money!). I've never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

Doug wrote:

I only have a cd of excel 2003 (ms office 2003). How do I obtain a copy of
excel 2002 to try that? I cant spend money on this.

"Stephen Bullen" wrote:

Hi Doug,

[...]

Richard

If I may add some information to track this problem:
- The Excel file does not use VBA (No Macros at all !)
- I know for a fact that others can open it - not sure of their Excel
version though. I'll try to find out.

Most intriguing problem.
Is there a "compatibility" mode for Excel 2003 that can open "older" excel
files ?

Richard Taillon

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
does this happen with all files or only a single one. If the latter: sounds
like a corrupted file for me

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Doug

Quick update. on second pc - completely wiped away all MS office, rebooted,
full reinstall of 2003 office - (it asked for license key again) - reboot -
BEFORE even appliing office service patch - i tried and failed to open that
file.

"Doug" wrote:

Ok - Im going crazy with this one.

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I get the
following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers the file
(sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have tried this on
two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results. NOTE: Excel 2000
opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and reinstalled. No
luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Suggestions??

--
.

Richard

Hi Nick,

I'am the Author of the Excel file in Question.
Can you specify what you mean by "formula name not recognised" ?
I'd really like to understant why it works in older excels, but not in Excel
2003 (Does Microsoft have a list of "changes" in excel 2003? it could contain
a clue to this problem ...)

And how can a formula be "Dodgy" !?

thank you !

Richard

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Doug

It is using a formula name not recognised for some reason. I have XL2003
and get the same errors. I can get it open but many of the formulae have
#NAME! errors.

Sounds like a dodgy file to me

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

Gord Dibben

Richard

The #NAME! error is most likely caused by a formula that references a Function
from an add-in like the Analysis Toolpak or similar.

Or a User Defined Function.

Check out what you need to have checked in ToolsAdd-ins.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Doug

It is using a formula name not recognised for some reason. I have XL2003
and get the same errors. I can get it open but many of the formulae have
#NAME! errors.

Sounds like a dodgy file to me

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
HIS

Richard

Hi Gord,

- I don't see the #name? error myself (I'am using excel 2000) but seems that
when opened on Excel 2003, they get it..
- I don't use any Add-ins !
- I don't use any user-defined functions - only simple stuff like
Trunc/rounddown/vlookup/hlookup - No advanced Stats, or calculus here !

I'am really confused here...
Why does it work on older versions of Excel, and NOT excell 2003 ?!
Here is the diret link to the file if anyone wishes to check it out (gracias
!!)

http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charshe...et_-_v6.39.zip

Richard

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Doug

It is using a formula name not recognised for some reason. I have XL2003
and get the same errors. I can get it open but many of the formulae have
#NAME! errors.

Sounds like a dodgy file to me

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
HIS

Gord Dibben

Suggest they go to Help and enter "name" to see what are the several causes of
the #NAME! error and do some trouble-shooting based on those options.

Gord