Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Column of Text Shown = Total Times Shown?

Hello All,

I am not too sure how to explain it so I will provide an example.

Column C represents how many times that name was shown. Is there an
easy way to do this or a simple formula? I appreciate the help

A B C
Phil Phil 3
Phil Bob 2
Phil Anne 4
Bob John 2
Bob
Anne
Anne
Anne
Anne
John
John

Peace

Phil C.

--
philcassell
philcassell's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36520

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I take it Col A is a list of names, Col is the name you wish to count
and Col C is your Formula cell.

If so add any of these formula's to C1

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$11=B1))

or

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$11,B1)

Below is an array (Enter with Ctrl + Alt + Enter) just for info

=SUM(IF($A$1:$A$11=B1,1,0))

VBA Noob

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Column C represents how many times that name was shown. Is there an
easy way to do this or a simple formula?

With the list of unique names listed in B1 down
In C1, copied down: =COUNTIF(A:A,B1)
will return the indicated counts ..
--
Max