Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default change hyperlinks from relative to absolute

Hi,

I have a table in excel that has 104 hyperlinks (all to different folders
with in shared network drives)

The links all worked fine until the original spreadsheet was moved to a new
location and now they don't.

I have figure out this is because they are relative links so was wondering
if there is an easy way to change them all to absolute links without redoing
them all.

I have come across a lot of people suggesting the =hyperlink formula but
that would still require retyping each one individually.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Regards
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: change hyperlinks from relative to absolute

Hi there,

Yes, there is an easy way to change all your relative hyperlinks to absolute hyperlinks in Excel. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Open your Excel file and select the column that contains your hyperlinks.
  2. Right-click on the selected column and choose "Copy".
  3. Open a new Excel file and right-click on cell A1. Choose "Paste Special" and then select "Values" and "Transpose". This will paste your hyperlinks into rows instead of columns.
  4. Select all the cells that contain your hyperlinks and press "Ctrl + H" to open the "Find and Replace" dialog box.
  5. In the "Find what" field, type "
    Code:
    .\
    " (without the quotes). This will find all the relative links in your hyperlinks.
  6. In the "Replace with" field, type the full path to your shared network drive. For example, if your shared network drive is located at "
    Code:
    \\server\share
    ", then type "
    Code:
    \\server\share\
    " (without the quotes) in the "Replace with" field.
  7. Click "Replace All" and Excel will replace all your relative links with absolute links.
  8. Select all the cells that contain your absolute links and press "Ctrl + C" to copy them.
  10. Right-click on the selected column and choose "Paste Special" and then select "Values". This will replace your hyperlinks with the absolute links you copied in step 8.

That's it! Your hyperlinks should now be absolute and should work even if you move your Excel file to a different location.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A few people have said that this has stopped the problem from reoccurring.

In xl2003 menus:
File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

In xl2007:
Click on the Office button
Choose Prepare, then properties.
Then use the arrow on the Document Properties dropdown
Choose Advanced Properties
And then change the hyperlink base on the Summary tab.

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. It has never failed me this
way:

=hyperlink("file:////yourpathtothe/something.xxx","Click me")

You can even put the path in a dedicated cell and the filename in another.

=hyperlink("file:////" & $a$1 & A2,"Click me")

==============
If you have to change lots and lots and lots back...

You could use the code from David McRitchie's site:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson