Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I save to hard drive AND my flash drive at the same time?

I will be at our County Fair this week, and doing some serious data entry
into excel to keep track of all the Agriculture and Show animals. Is there a
way to save to my hard drive as well as my flash drive at the same time? I
am trying to avoid double the work and wait time. Being at a County Fair, we
can be out in the elements somewhat, and in the event of an unforseen
disaster, I need to protect the information I have entered throughout the day.

If I can save time and effort by just saving once to both the hard drive and
the flash drive (or cd), it would be really nice.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could record a macro and when recording manually save to the hd and then
save to the flash drive. Then just run the macro each time you want to save
and it should save to both.

"Gizelle" wrote:

I will be at our County Fair this week, and doing some serious data entry
into excel to keep track of all the Agriculture and Show animals. Is there a
way to save to my hard drive as well as my flash drive at the same time? I
am trying to avoid double the work and wait time. Being at a County Fair, we
can be out in the elements somewhat, and in the event of an unforseen
disaster, I need to protect the information I have entered throughout the day.

If I can save time and effort by just saving once to both the hard drive and
the flash drive (or cd), it would be really nice.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Tim, but I was trying to avoid doing a macro (haven't done in so long
I'm not sure how to do it for this). If you have time to give me some
pointers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
--

"Gizelle" wrote:

I will be at our County Fair this week, and doing some serious data entry
into excel to keep track of all the Agriculture and Show animals. Is there a
way to save to my hard drive as well as my flash drive at the same time? I
am trying to avoid double the work and wait time. Being at a County Fair, we
can be out in the elements somewhat, and in the event of an unforseen
disaster, I need to protect the information I have entered throughout the day.

If I can save time and effort by just saving once to both the hard drive and
the flash drive (or cd), it would be really nice.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gizelle

Sub BUandSave2()
'Saves the current file to a backup folder and the default folder
'Note that any backup is overwritten
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs FileName:="C:\Gordstuff\" & _
ActiveWorkbook.Name
ActiveWorkbook.Save
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

Adjust the C:\Gordsuff path.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo or stick it
in a BeforeSave event in Thisworkbook.

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs FileName:="C:\Gordstuff\" & _
ActiveWorkbook.Name
ActiveWorkbook.Save
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub