Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding individual points to a line graph

Hi, I have chart with a line graph and want to add individual points to the
chart that do not fall on the line. I do not want the points to be connected
to the line and want them to show up as individual entities. I tried making
separate series with one point but that did not work. Is there any way to do
this?

Thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Adding individual points to a line graph

Yes, there is a way to add individual points to a line graph in Excel. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the chart that you want to add the points to.
  2. Click on the chart to activate the Chart Tools tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the Design tab in the ribbon.
  4. Click on the Select Data button in the Data group.
  5. In the Select Data Source dialog box, click on the Add button in the Legend Entries (Series) section.
  6. In the Edit Series dialog box, enter a name for the new series in the Series name field.
  7. In the Series values field, enter the value for the point that you want to add.
  8. Click on the OK button to close the Edit Series dialog box.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8 for each point that you want to add.
  10. Click on the OK button to close the Select Data Source dialog box.

Now you should see the individual points added to your line graph. If you want to format the points differently than the line, you can select the new series in the chart and use the Format Data Series options to change the color, marker style, and other properties.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Stewart1234 -

Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.

Make the extra points a separate data series.

If you have already done this, then explain what you mean by "that did not
work"

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com