Craig

Default Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name

I have an Excel workbook (call it Workbook A) with one worksheet for every
day of the year since July 1, each containing, among other things, a list of
order numbers for that day.

In another workbook (Workbook B), I have a smaller list of order numbers.

What I would like to do is write some kind of function in Workbook B so
that, for each order number in the smaller list, it will look for that same
order number in Workbook A (it could be in any worksheet in Workbook A) and
return the name of the worksheet -- the date for the order.

Does such a function exist?

Many thanks for any help.
Earl Kiosterud

Craig,

Since all the sheets have order records, you will likely find it much better
to put all of your orders in one sheet with a date column added. Read "Data
across multiple sheets" at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm.
In this case, finding any record will be straightforward with filters and
other tools. If there are too many orders for a sheet, you'll likely need
to use a database program like Access.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Craig" wrote in message
I have an Excel workbook (call it Workbook A) with one worksheet for every
day of the year since July 1, each containing, among other things, a list
of
order numbers for that day.

In another workbook (Workbook B), I have a smaller list of order numbers.

What I would like to do is write some kind of function in Workbook B so
that, for each order number in the smaller list, it will look for that
same
order number in Workbook A (it could be in any worksheet in Workbook A)
and
return the name of the worksheet -- the date for the order.

Does such a function exist?

Many thanks for any help.

Craig

Yes, this would be ideal but each worksheet has a lot of other information on
it and is actually designed more with printing in mind than record-keeping.
I am afraid there will have to be some redesign involved but I was just
wondering if there was an easier way in the meantime.

Thanks,

Craig