Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "File in use"

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that was setup by someone else, it has a setting on it
that tells a user the file is in use if they try to open it while someone
else has it open. I can't figure out how they set that up.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before and can provide
instructions on how to set this up.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We have something similar and it's not a setting you set up - the file is on
a shared drive that can be accessed by multiple users so that if I try to
open it and say, you already have it open, I get a notification that says the
file is in use by Kerry and do I want to open it as read only, have it notify
me when you close the file, or just cancel the operation all together.

If I choose to open anyway and I make any changes to the file I'll have to
rename it in order to keep the changes (not recommended, as now there will be
two live files that now have conflicting information). If I choose "notify"
it will open the file but then alert me when the file is no longer in use by
you. However, it should tell you who is using the file.

Hope that helps.

"Kerry" wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that was setup by someone else, it has a setting on it
that tells a user the file is in use if they try to open it while someone
else has it open. I can't figure out how they set that up.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before and can provide
instructions on how to set this up.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q184982/
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200829

"Kerry" wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that was setup by someone else, it has a setting on it
that tells a user the file is in use if they try to open it while someone
else has it open. I can't figure out how they set that up.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before and can provide
instructions on how to set this up.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yeah that's exactly what it's doing, the one I wanted to have that for is
actually an attachment, so if I place it on a shared drive and e-mail the
link this should provide that message...I'll give that a try. Thanks for your
help:)

"Kerry" wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that was setup by someone else, it has a setting on it
that tells a user the file is in use if they try to open it while someone
else has it open. I can't figure out how they set that up.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before and can provide
instructions on how to set this up.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you send it as an attachment, it leaves the "shared" environment and
becomes a new document, and it could ultimately differ materially from the
shared document. So you could email it to me and I could open it from my
email but at the same time you could go out to the shared file and open it
without it telling you there's a sharing conflict, because it's not truly
being "shared" at that time. The attachment doesn't open the shared folder,
the email treats it as a totally independent document. Just FYI.