Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mdj101

Default Percentage Discount Total

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with the following.

I have the formula =SUM(D2*(20/100)) which gives me the discount value
of cell D2 i.e if D2 = £10 then the SUM = £2

But I want the formula to work out the total minus the sum ie.

£10 - 20% = £8

I hope ive made this clear, maybe im just going about it the wrong way.

--
mdj101

mdj101's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33739
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=543304

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Try:
=SUM((D2*(1-(20/100))))
seems to work..
although only =D2*(1-(20/100))
will accomplish.
HTH

"mdj101" wrote:

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with the following.

I have the formula =SUM(D2*(20/100)) which gives me the discount value
of cell D2 i.e if D2 = £10 then the SUM = £2

But I want the formula to work out the total minus the sum ie.

£10 - 20% = £8

I hope ive made this clear, maybe im just going about it the wrong way.

--
mdj101

mdj101's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33739
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=543304

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

mdj101 wrote:
I have the formula =SUM(D2*(20/100)) which gives me the discount
value of cell D2 i.e if D2 = £10 then the SUM = £2
But I want the formula to work out the total minus the sum ie.
£10 - 20% = £8

There are usually many ways to accomplish the same thing.
Perhaps the simplest for you to understand is to formulate it
exactly as you described, to wit one of the following:

=D2 - D2*20/100
=D2 - D2*20%

Note: There is no reason to use SUM() in this formula.
I am curious: why did you do it in the first place?

Also note: You might want to add some appropriate rounding.
What is "appropriate" depends on your goals and monetary
system. For example, one of the following (for US dollars):

=ROUND(D2 - D2*20%, 2)
=D2 - ROUND(D2*20%, 2)