Dean

Default Fan charts

I have started using Excel to draw something called fan charts or at least
attempt to. These are simply charts which are shaped like a 180 degree
drawing protractor which have been segemented and words and numbers inserted
into the segments.
Previously I have done this by hand which is time consuming and inprecise.

Can any suggest either template or other means by which I could draw this
fan charts and be able to insert words etc into the segments. I have
experimented with the shapes avaliable in Excel 2003 but todate I have not
had the results I was hoping for. I have turned the arch shapso that the
arch faced vertical and tried to cut of the square half of it's bottom. This
I was not able to do and segementing the actual arch with line drawing was
very difficult and in precise. The segements would not then accept any
letters. I also tried half cutting the circle shape from auto shapes but this
again was unsuccessful. If any one can help or suggest anuything then I would
be grateful to hear from them.
Jon Peltier

Dean -

You could use a donut chart to give you the fan. Set it up so that half
of it is blank: make one value equal to the sum of all the others, then
format it so it has no fill and no border. Adjust the values for the
other segments to get the appropriate sizes, and use data labels for the
text.

For example, start with data like this:

blank 60
a 10
b 20
c 10
d 15
e 5

The cell next to "blank" has a formula to make sure its value equals the
sum of the others, no matter how they may change.

Select both columns of data and make a donut chart. Double click on the
donut part, and on the options tab, set the angle of the first slice to
90 degrees, so the blank semicircle is at the bottom. On the data labels
tab, use the categories option for the labels. Format the semicircular
segment to be invisible (no border, no fill), and remove its data label.

I use this as part of my Speedometer chart, if you want an illustrated
example:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SpeedometerXP.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Dean wrote:
[...]

Dean

Thanks very much for relying I see what you are saying to some degree. the
problem is that I am rather lacking in experience and having looked all over
the blacnk excel window at all of the controls I can not find anything that
is called donut, to make a chart from I am using excel 1997 and 2003 on a
seperate computer. The other thing that interest me is thatI was hoping to
inseret letters/ numbers into the chart aswell. The speedo chart that you
have draw is very interresting. Where would I find donut.

Dean

Dean wrote:
[...]

Jon Peltier

Select the data which is arranged as I have laid out. The a, b, c labels
represent what text you would add into the sections of the donut, as
Data Labels. After you make the chart, if you change one of the cells,
the chart also changes.

Then run the chart wizard. It's the button that looks like a small chart
on the standard menu, or you can also go to the Insert menu and select
Chart... In step one of the chart wizard you have a list of chart types,
and Donut (or Doughnut) is the sixth type in the left hand list.

In step 3 of the wizard, one of the tabs is Data Labels. In Excel 97 and
2000 choose Show Label, and in Excel 2002 and 2003 choose Category Name.
This puts the labels from the first column into the sections of the
chart. When the chart is already made, you can get to Data Labels from
the Chart Options menu item on the Chart menu.

When you've made the chart double click on the donut, and on the Options
tab, change the angle of the first slice to 90, so the first slice
starts at the right instead of the top of the ring.

- Jon
-------

Dean wrote:

[...]

Dean

I have done a few experiments and found the chart wizard. I am using both
Excel 97 and Excel 2003 there is a problem in so much as I am still a little
new to things like this. I have found the chart wizard but the location of
where and how to put the data seems a bit vague.

On getting to stage two of the wizard I was met with an option asking me for
data range and whether I wanted rows or columns. On looking at this I was a
left wondering what to do next. Should I have written something on to the
background sheet to start with and then cited a cell reference, ie K19 (
where I had put the date), when faced with this option at stage 2? This is
espicially important to me as I intend to scan in a large number of entries
initially into a word document and then transfer them over to what I presume
wuill be data sheet after which I will then use this created data resource as
a place from which I can then draw the data into the donut chart.

I wondered also what the data series controls mean, I could see the
reaction that was caused when I initiated series one two etc. The chart was
devided then sectored etc.

Any illumination much appreciated. The help section with the Excel software
is basic to say the least.

Dean

Dean wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

In general, you should spend as much time getting the data organized as
drawing the chart. If possible, put the data into a rectangular range,
preferrably with series in columns. The first row should have series
names and the first column should have the category (X) values. Leave
the top left cell blank. Select the range and run the chart wizard. In
step two of the wizard, you should probably have to do very little,
maybe change by rows to by columns.

If you're doing a funky customized combo chart, more work is involved.
You will need to use the Series tab of step two, and define each series
independently.

Often if most of the data conforms to one chart type, it's best to
create the chart the first way above, then add new series for any
nonconforming series. You can copy the data range, select the chart, and
use paste or paste special; or you can use Source Data from the Chart
menu, Series tab.

- Jon
-------

Dean wrote:

[...]

Dean

Thanks again Jon much appreciated all this help. I have tried to contact you
about the Microsoft Most valued professional. I have sent a couple of emails
through your website but have had no luck so far in getting a response
through that way. Any chance you could email me offline and are you based in
the UK ?

Please just do the obvious to the email address

thanks again Dean