Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting numbers stored as dates to text in Excel

When I imported results of a survey containing questions with frequency
distributions ( 1-2, 3-5, 6-10, etc. ) into Excel, Excel converted all the
frequency distributions to dates: 2-Jan, 5-Mar, 10-Jun, etc. How do I convert
these dates back into text? When I reformat the cells containing dates as
text cells the dates are converted to numbers, e.g.:

2-Jan -- 38719
5-Mar -- 38781
10-Jun --38878

When I attempt to Find/Replace these numbers with the text values I want,
Excel reports that it has made the change but it actually hasn't. I could cut
and paste the values by hand but that would be extremely tedious as there are
hundreds of them scattered throughout the spreadsheet.

I'm not an advanced Excel user. Not familiar with use of functions, but
would appreciate any help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David, try to format the cell as a text before type 1-2, etc

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo