Ellie

Default How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

I have a column with 2 reason codes in. One is 256, which gives in a
preceding column a positive number. The other is 356, which in the same
preceding column is also giving a positive number, which should actually be
shown as a negative number. All these figures are random.

Is there any way of changing the several hundred rows with reason code 356
to show the quantity figure as being a negative?

Ellie
Richard Buttrey

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:58:04 -0700, "Ellie"
wrote:

I have a column with 2 reason codes in. One is 256, which gives in a
preceding column a positive number. The other is 356, which in the same
preceding column is also giving a positive number, which should actually be
shown as a negative number. All these figures are random.

Is there any way of changing the several hundred rows with reason code 356
to show the quantity figure as being a negative?

Ellie

Simplest way is to use a spare working column say C.

Assuming the values are in column A and the codes in column B, enter
the following in C1

=if(B1=356,a1*-1,a1)

Copy it down column C.
Then Edit Copy the whole of Column C and Edit PastSpecial Value into
Column A.

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

dominicb

Good afternoon Ellie

You could achive this using a "helper" column. Say A=256 / 356, B=
your quantity and your first row is row 1. In column C use the
formula:

=IF(A1=256,B1,B1*-1)

and copy it all the way down.

Once done, you could use Copy-Paste As function to convert the formula
back into "proper" numbers.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Select all cells with data.
From Edit menu, select Replace, into SearchFor field enter 356, into
ReplaceWith field enter -356, and click on ReplaceAll button.

Arvi Laanemets

"Ellie" wrote in message
I have a column with 2 reason codes in. One is 256, which gives in a
preceding column a positive number. The other is 356, which in the same
preceding column is also giving a positive number, which should actually

be
shown as a negative number. All these figures are random.

Is there any way of changing the several hundred rows with reason code 356
to show the quantity figure as being a negative?

Ellie

Arvi Laanemets

Sorry! Skip mu previous answer - I didn't read your posting carefully
enough!

Arvi Laanemets

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Hi