Richard

Default Linking Excel to Access.

Excel and Access are both versions 2000.

I have an Access database of about 240,000 records. I'm
trying to link Excel to that database but each time get an
error that no data table is present.

How do I link Excel to Access?

Thanks.

Dave O

Heads up!

Please recall that an Excel sheet has 65,536 rows (2 to the 16th power,
for the math geeks). If your Access table has 240k records you'll
exceed Excel's capacity to handle the data on a single sheet, meaning
you'll have to come up with a fistful of workarounds to accommodate
your data.

It sounds like you should work from Access, rather than Excel. But
that's just me, Mr. Vegas.

Pontification ends!

Jason Morin

Check out:

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?
d=envbadacconnstring

HTH
Jason
Atlata, GA

CyberTaz

Hi Richard-

Dave is right about Excel not being able to import that many records due to
rows/sheet limit, and the data cannot flow to additional sheets. I'm not
certain what you mean by the term "link to", but if this isn't what you're
doing you may want to give it a try. Especially if you actually need 65,536
records or less at a time.

In a blank worksheet, go to DataGet External DataNew Database Query (the
wording may be a little different in Excel 2000, but this is close). Follow
the dialog boxes to query the Access file to show you records that match
specific criteria in order to cut down on the number of records in the found
set.

If you need all records or consistantly need more than Excel handles, you'll
probably need to work from within Access.

Hope this is useful to you |:)