Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002: How to retain default formating after pasting ?

Dear Sir,

Frequently, I need to copy and paste reports generated by other business
system to Excel Worksheet for further analysis.

These reports usually come in Excel Reader or Excel Formats.

I find that whenever these reports are pasted to the Excel Worksheet, it
retain it retain its original formatting instead of following the default
formatting of my worksheet.

The formating involve are font type, font color and date format.

Usually I need to customize it back to my desire format manually.

I feel more comfortable working with MS San Serif blue font and do not
require the time clock after the date

This is time consuming and tedious when dealing with large number of big
spreadsheet daily.

May I know is there a way to set the Excel 2002 worksheet to retain my
desire formatting after pasting?

If this is not possible for Excel 2002 , may I know if this feature is
already available under Excel 2007 ?

Thanks

Low

A36B58K641
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This works for 2003 and 2007 but I'm not 100% sure for Excel 2002.
When pasting try
[edit] - [paste special] then select 'Values'.

Providing the structure is the same you should just get the numbers with
your own formats.
If you want to retain any calculations that you're copying across the select
'Formulas' instead of 'Values'.

HTH
Giz

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried Edit/ Paste Special/ Values ?
Otherwise, the other way round, copy your default sheet and Edit/ Paste
Special/ Formats?
--
David Biddulph

"Mr. Low" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Low,
One thing you could do is to save a copy of the worksheet that's formatted
the way you like it. Then,
1. Load the new sheet (not on the formatted sheet, but on another sheet).
2. Display the worksheet that's formatted like you want it
3. Click on the rectangle above the row numbers and to the left of the
column letters to select the whole sheet. Click on the format painter
(paint brush on toolbar).
4. Display the new sheet
5. Click on the rectangle above the row numbers and to the left of the
column letters to paste the format to the entire sheet.
Hope this helps!
James
"Mr. Low" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Sir,

No, Excel 2002 does not allow me to paste special on those extternal source
of data. The normal dialog box does not come out to enable me choose my
pasting options.

Thanks anyway for your info.

Low
--
A36B58K641

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you could do, though, is to have a separate sheet in the workbook
you paste this external data to, set up with the formats you require.
Then copy from this sheet and click onto the other sheet and use Edit
| Paste Special | Formats to impose your formats onto the imported
data.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

A36B58K641- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know what other application you're using, but I put some text in Notepad
and copied it.

Then I selected a cell in a worksheet
edit|Paste special
and chose Text
The excel format was presevered

I put some text into an MSWord document.
I colored the fill and the font.
I did an edit|Copy
and off to excel
edit|Paste special|and chose Text

And the excel format was presevered here, too.

Mr. Low wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave Peterson wrote...
I don't know what other application you're using, but I put some
text in Notepad and copied it.

Then I selected a cell in a worksheet
edit|Paste special
and chose Text
The excel format was presevered

Not necessarily if the original number format were General.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Might be a problem, but the OP said font type, font color and date format.

In my simple tests, these didn't change when I pasted as Text.

Harlan Grove wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote...
I don't know what other application you're using, but I put some
text in Notepad and copied it.

Then I selected a cell in a worksheet
edit|Paste special
and chose Text
The excel format was presevered

Not necessarily if the original number format were General.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Pete,

I try your method today. It works perfectly well if the columnns of the two
files are in the same sequence. This could save me a lot of effort and time.

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Low

--