Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to avoid "Data connections have been disabled"

Excel 2007

Steps taken: Created a certificate called XYZ (which I thought enable my Excel Macros)
which was placed in my Personal Certificates Store but forgot how I did that a year ago.

Now almost every previously created Excel w/s I open contains the message:

"Data connections have been disabled"

Bottom line - how do I get around this issue??

Also, I have deleted all data connections (in a workbook), saved the file, then re-opened
it only to find the same data connections.

ADDITIONAL STEPS:

I have heard that the solution may involve the MS Certificate Manager.

Therefore I used "certmgr.msc" (from STARTRUN) certmgr.msc and I would like to install
my certificate into "the trusted Root Certification Authorities store".

I can see the certificate in the Personal folder but its "certification path" indicates
that it is "Not Trusted."

Do I have to delete it and start over? modify it?

I have no clue how to:
1) create, modify a personal certificate and/or
2) install it in the trusted Root Certification Authorities store and/or
3) make sure that the "certificate path" is OK (in short authorized and OK)

TIA EagleOne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instructions for Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro SP2

Have a go at changing the DC to a Trusted Certifiicate.

With Excel closed......................

StartRun "mmc" to open the Microsoft Management Console.

FileAdd/Remove Snap-in. Select Certificates snap-in.

Expand and open Personal Certificates folder.

Select your SelfCert DC and drag it to the Trusted Root
CertificatesCertificates folder.

Close MMC...........you can save changes to Comsole1.msc if you choose, but not
necessary unless you want the snap-in to stay loaded.

Now open Excel and your workbook.

Any difference?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:33:51 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See below (mixed in text)

Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

Instructions for Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro SP2

Have a go at changing the DC to a Trusted Certifiicate.

With Excel closed......................

StartRun "mmc" to open the Microsoft Management Console.

FileAdd/Remove Snap-in. Select Certificates snap-in.

Get to here fine.

GET: Snap-ins added to: Console Root
I selected Add (get an drop-down which includes "Certificates"
next I get "This snap-in will always manage certificates for:
My User Account
Service account
Computer account
next I select My user account then Finish , then in I get "Certificates - Current User"

I do not get the option: to (do the next step below)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Additional:

As mentioned above, I was not able to continue the mmc process.
That said, I would like to know what I did wrong.

I did open (via StartRun) certmgr.msc

In that utility, I was able to drag my certificate to
the "trusted" folder and it is now "Trusted"

Thanks Gord (if you have the time what did I do wrong with mmc?)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I 2-clicked as stated and all that happened was
"Certificates - Current User" moved up to the select-from area"
and the "message box" was became empty.

Thanks

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know why the list of folders did not show up up under Cerificates _
Current User.

I assume when you opened mmc console and FileAdd.Remove a Snap-in you selected
Certificates and "Add" or d-click then options "My User Account".

Works for me.

But they did show up when you bypassed mmc and went directly to certmgr.msc so
at least you got a trusted certificate which was the purpose of all this<g

I should have directed you there in first place.........you did mention it in
original post but I'm more accustomed to going through mmc console1

Gord