Tricia

Default pass fail

Hi how would I set up a column to give the average of pass to fail rate?
i.e. if A1 50 then put pass in C3 else put fail then give the average of
passes to fails in cell C20 if there were 19 rows?

Thanks Tricia

Tricia

"Tricia" wrote in message
Hi how would I set up a column to give the average of pass to fail rate?
i.e. if A1 50 then put pass in C3 else put fail then give the average of
passes to fails in cell C20 if there were 19 rows?

Thanks Tricia

Hi in cells C1:C125 I have

=IF(A150,"pass","fail")
=IF(A12550,"pass","fail")
how do I get an average of the cells C1:C125

Thanks Tricia

JulieD

Hi Tricia

(is this homework? - sounds like the sort of problem i set as a revision
exercise)

however, i'm not exactly sure what an an average of passes to fails is but
i'm guessing that the COUNTIF function is the way to go. - if this is
homework stop reading now and go try it :)

number of passes
=COUNTIF(C1:C19,"pass")

number of fails
=COUNTIF(C1:C19,"fail")

Cheers
JulieD

"Tricia" wrote in message

"Tricia" wrote in message
Hi how would I set up a column to give the average of pass to fail rate?
i.e. if A1 50 then put pass in C3 else put fail then give the average
of passes to fails in cell C20 if there were 19 rows?

Thanks Tricia

Hi in cells C1:C125 I have

=IF(A150,"pass","fail")
=IF(A12550,"pass","fail")
how do I get an average of the cells C1:C125

Thanks Tricia

JE McGimpsey

what do you mean "average of passes to fails"?

There will be a single discrete number of passes, and a single discrete
number of failures. What is there to average?

If you mean the *ratio* of passes to fails, assuming

C1: =IF(A150,"pass","fail"), or

C1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A150,"pass","fail"))

Then

C20: =COUNTIF(C1:C19,"pass")/COUNTIF(C1:C19,"fail")

or if you mean the ratio of passes to total attempts:

C20: =COUNTIF(C1:C19,"pass")/SUM(COUNTIF(C1:C19,{"pass","fail"}))