Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Fill down Multiple Rows?

This is my question... I have a report generated from access that lists
information in a "tree" like format with the parent information, and then kid
information (it varies how many lines) in the next column over. Is there a
way to copy each parent org below itself so that each row has a parent name
in it?

In the example below, I want something that can help me drag down the org
names into each box below it. Is this possible?

For example;

ABCD Corp John Smith
Jane Doe
1234 Corp George Michael
Bill Rogers
Jim Greene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My way:

in the cell directly below ABCD corp, type =A2 (or whatever cell the above
value is in).
copy the formula
Highlight the entire column
Edit Go To
Special
Blanks

Paste your formula
Copy the column and paste Special/Values to get rid of the formula.

"Katie" wrote:

This is my question... I have a report generated from access that lists
information in a "tree" like format with the parent information, and then kid
information (it varies how many lines) in the next column over. Is there a
way to copy each parent org below itself so that each row has a parent name
in it?

In the example below, I want something that can help me drag down the org
names into each box below it. Is this possible?

For example;

ABCD Corp John Smith
Jane Doe
1234 Corp George Michael
Bill Rogers
Jim Greene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Katie

Select the org names column and F5SpecialBlanksOK

Type an = sign in the active cell then click on or up arrow to the cell above.

Hit CTRL + ENTER to copy down.

When happy, select tha column and EditCopy.

EditPaste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:23:43 -0800, Katie
wrote:

This is my question... I have a report generated from access that lists
information in a "tree" like format with the parent information, and then kid
information (it varies how many lines) in the next column over. Is there a
way to copy each parent org below itself so that each row has a parent name
in it?

In the example below, I want something that can help me drag down the org
names into each box below it. Is this possible?

For example;

ABCD Corp John Smith
Jane Doe
1234 Corp George Michael
Bill Rogers
Jim Greene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sean,

I agree this would work if it was the same number of entries for each
parent, but it varies per parent info in the first column. Sometimes there is
one name, sometimes there's 15. Would this still work?

"Katie" wrote:

This is my question... I have a report generated from access that lists
information in a "tree" like format with the parent information, and then kid
information (it varies how many lines) in the next column over. Is there a
way to copy each parent org below itself so that each row has a parent name
in it?

In the example below, I want something that can help me drag down the org
names into each box below it. Is this possible?

For example;

ABCD Corp John Smith
Jane Doe
1234 Corp George Michael
Bill Rogers
Jim Greene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay- this is awesome! Thank you so much!

I had never used that "go to" menu before. I think I might try to play
around with it! Thank you all!