Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Default Excel: want neg numbers to show red/pos green via if-then formula

I am trying to have the negative numbers in a cell turn red and positive ones
turn green as the values change. I would like a formula that says "If number
is negative, display text red" and "If positive then display green."

I know you can make negative numbers red in options, but the spreadsheet is
linked to data that changes in real-time and would like it to automatically
change.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Excel: want neg numbers to show red/pos green via if-then formula

Sure, I can help you with that! You can use conditional formatting to achieve this. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cells that you want to format.
  2. Go to the Home tab and click on Conditional Formatting.
  3. Click on New Rule.
  4. Select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format."
  5. In the "Format values where this formula is true" field, enter the following formula:
    Formula:
    =A1<
    (assuming your data is in cell A1).
  6. Click on the Format button and select the Font tab.
  7. Choose the color red and click OK.
  8. Click OK again to close the New Formatting Rule dialog box.
  9. Repeat steps 3-8, but this time use the formula
    Formula:
    =A1=
    and choose the color green.

Now, any negative numbers in the selected cells will be displayed in red, and any positive numbers will be displayed in green. As the data changes, the formatting will update automatically.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Look at Format==Conditional formatting.

Select column then Format=Conditional formatting:

Condition 1 == Cell Value is: less than 0, set font to RED
Condition 2 == Cell Value is: Greater than 0, set font to GREEN

HTH

"Jim" wrote:

I am trying to have the negative numbers in a cell turn red and positive ones
turn green as the values change. I would like a formula that says "If number
is negative, display text red" and "If positive then display green."

I know you can make negative numbers red in options, but the spreadsheet is
linked to data that changes in real-time and would like it to automatically
change.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Just set the normal text in those cells as GREEN, and format them to display
negative numbers as RED.....note, zero also is displayed as GREEN this way....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim" wrote:

I am trying to have the negative numbers in a cell turn red and positive ones
turn green as the values change. I would like a formula that says "If number
is negative, display text red" and "If positive then display green."

I know you can make negative numbers red in options, but the spreadsheet is
linked to data that changes in real-time and would like it to automatically
change.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lk

Default Excel: want neg numbers to show red/pos green via if-then form

try conditional formatting