Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error

Hello,

How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin
functions in them?

I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble
with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that
are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated
from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there
computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added
all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin
functions by typing in the name and parameters in a cell like so;

=CustomFunction1(A1,A2)

However, now when I open Excel files all the addin functions have the #NAME?
error and the functions look like this;

='C:\ExcelAddins\FunctionSet1.xla'!CustomFunction1 (A1,A2)

If I remove the file path and ! from the formula the function calculates
correctly. However, I have hundreds of Excel files with hundreds (some
thousands) of the custom formulas in them from the collection of Excel
addins. I can't edit every formula in every file.

How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin
functions in them? Please help me.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Eureka, I think I've got it. I stumbled upon the Trust Center in Excel; [MS
Button]|[Excel Options]|[Trust Center]|[Trust Center Settings...]. Here in
the Trusted Locations I noticed that the C:\ExcelAddins folder was not
listed so I added it. Now the addin functions are working as they did in
Excel 2003. However, the Excel files I opened and saved before adding to
the Trusted Locations are still not cooperating. I suspect the file path
has been saved in the file and it does not know the location is trusted.
Thankfully, I was only experimenting with two tiny files so its not an issue
to manually remove the path from the functions. MS should mention this in a
prominent location somewhere as it is a serious issue with no documentation
(that I could find) on how to fix it.