Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I set up a payroll spreadsheet will update weekly?

I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try this Microsoft link. I think that it is probably what you need.

OssieMac

"torit" wrote:

I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. I mean from an Excel programmer :-). Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. Payroll maintenance is affected by a lot
of state law as well as federal law. No template can possibly handle the
varied law for all states. And I would even be suspicious of the correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. Don't trust yourself to do this right.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You are way over your head.
Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

" wrote
in message ...
"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. I mean from an Excel programmer :-). Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. Payroll maintenance is affected by a
lot
of state law as well as federal law. No template can possibly handle the
varied law for all states. And I would even be suspicious of the
correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. Don't trust yourself to do this right.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

T. Valko wrote:
You are way over your head.
Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g

Yes but payroll is NOT the place to start!
besides, there are so many commercial packages available right across
the price range, that will take care of everything, including taxes and
the legal side, why re-invent the wheel?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"T. Valko" wrote:
You are way over your head.
Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g

Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.

You are trying to be cute, I know. But this is a serious matter. In the
US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
management involves a fiduciary duty. Failure to carry out that duty can
result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or at
least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and interest).

For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
understands that fiduciary duty. But I hope you agree that the nature of the
OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "a"
formula to update payroll weekly?!

If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's class
in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.

Just my opinion.

----- original posting -----

"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. I mean from an Excel programmer :-). Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. Payroll maintenance is affected by a
lot
of state law as well as federal law. No template can possibly handle the
varied law for all states. And I would even be suspicious of the
correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. Don't trust yourself to do this right.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Geez!

Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
post you reply to.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

" wrote
in message ...

"T. Valko" wrote:
You are way over your head.
Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"
wrote
in message ...
"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. I mean from an Excel programmer :-). Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. Payroll maintenance is affected by a
lot
of state law as well as federal law. No template can possibly handle
the
varied law for all states. And I would even be suspicious of the
correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. Don't trust yourself to do this right.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"T. Valko" wrote:
Geez! Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject
some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

And it'll probably be the last time that Obama makes "light banter" in
reference to any special group (like the Special Olympics). ;-) ;-)

I guess we are all guilty of over-reacting from time to time. Mea culpa!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
Geez! Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to
inject some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

FYIm, I responded using the MS "discussion group" web interface, but
the response does not appear in Google Groups. It might not appear on
your news server either.

This is a recurring, albeit intermittent problem. My first response
in this thread also does not appear in Google Groups, but my second
response does. All of my responses in this thread were posted using
the MSDG web interface.

Normally, I do not use the MSDG web interface. However, I do use it
when the initial article does not in Google Groups, and I want to
respond to the initial article or to another response in the thread
that does not appear in Google Groups.

----- original posting -----

"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. *I mean from an Excel programmer :-). *Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. *Payroll maintenance is affected by a
lot
of state law as well as federal law. *No template can possibly handle
the
varied law for all states. *And I would even be suspicious of the
correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. *Don't trust yourself to do this right

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It might not appear on your news server either.

Yeah, I see it.

It's all good!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"torit" wrote:
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help. I mean from an Excel programmer :-). Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template. Payroll maintenance is affected by
lot
of state law as well as federal law. No template can possibly handle
the
varied law for all states. And I would even be suspicious of the
correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head. Don't trust yourself to do this right

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Mar 22, 9:01*am, "T. Valko" wrote:
It might not appear on your news server either.

Yeah, I see it.

Interesting. What news server and newsreader do you use?

This might help me understand the root cause of the problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Server: msnews.microsoft.com

Application: OutLook Express

--