Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Copy a graph within a workbook in Excel 2007

I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new worksheet in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If the chart is embedded on the sheet with the data, it is easy. Copy the
sheet, and the embedded copied chart points to the copied data.

If the chart is a chart sheet, then it's more complicated. Select the chart
and the worksheet with the data, right click on one of the tabs, and use
Move or Copy Sheet to MOVE them to a new workbook. Save this new workbook.
Select the two sheets in the new workbook, use Move or Copy to move them
into the original workbook. Since this is all the sheets in the new
workbook, the new workbook will close without saving changes. Reopen the new
workbook, select the chart sheet and worksheet, use Move or Copy again to
move them to the original workbook. This is your copy. Repeat the
reopen/move or copy as many times as needed.

This procedure is unchanged from Excel 2003 and earlier.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Hubes" wrote in message
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new worksheet
in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any
ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who
would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I tested what I was trying to do last night on my personal PC with Office XP
and I was able to copy the graph and associated data within the workbook and
have it copy properly with the graph pointing to the data set on the new
worksheet.

Yes, the graph is embedded on the sheet with the data but when the sheet is
getting copied, the copied sheet is not pointing to the copied data but the
original data and that is the problem.

"Hubes" wrote in message
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new worksheet
in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any
ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who
would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The description of your actions isn't clear. Here is what I verified before
answering the first post, and what I just re-verified:

If a chart is embedded on a worksheet that contains the data, a copy of this
worksheet will contain an embedded chart based on the data in the copied
worksheet. If you copy a range from the original worksheet that contains the
data and the chart and paste onto another worksheet, the pasted chart links
back to the data on the original worksheet.

This is true for Excel 2000 (and presumably back to Excel 97 and 5/95) up to
and including Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------

"Hubes" wrote in message
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new
worksheet
in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any
ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who
would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users
problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only
works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
cap cap is offline

I'm seeing the same behavior as Hubes describes. I brought an
Excel2003-created chart into an Excel2007 spreadsheet that contained an
imbedded Excel2007-created chart. When I copy the entire sheet to create a
new sheet within the workbook, the 2007 chart's data points to the original
sheet while the 2003 chart's data points to the copy. I just called MS on
this and they admit it's a known bug for Excel2007. Supposedly a fix will be
forthcoming.

-CAP

"Hubes" wrote in message
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new
worksheet
in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any
ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who
would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users
problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only
works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hubes didn't mention that his problem was with an Excel 2003 chart in Excel
2007. I'd never come across this version compatibility issue, but just now I
verified that an Excel 2003 chart behaves very badly in Excel 2007 (whereas
the Excel 2007 chart behaves almost nicely in 2007).

- Jon
-------

"Hubes" wrote in message
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new
worksheet
in
a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the
original
worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have
any
ideas
on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone
who
would
like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users
problem
until he sent me an example.

Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only
works
when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Just as a follow up to this issue. Microsoft released SP1 for Office 2007 on
Tuesday Dec 12, this corrected the issue that my user was having and charts
are updating properly with the SP installed.