Shadyhosta

Default Format a cell to keep leading zeros.

I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I place them in a
cell Excel automatically deletes the leading zeros. Is there a way to format
the cell to hold the zeros?
Chip Pearson

Use a custom number format of 000000 or as many zero as you need.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Shadyhosta" wrote in
message
I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I
place them in a
cell Excel automatically deletes the leading zeros. Is there a
way to format
the cell to hold the zeros?

David Jessop

Another approach is to use =FORMAT(A4,"0000000") which creates a string with
the correct number of leading zeros, rather than just displaying it in this
way.

Regards,
David Jessop

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Use a custom number format of 000000 or as many zero as you need.

"Shadyhosta" wrote in
message
I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I
place them in a
cell Excel automatically deletes the leading zeros. Is there a
way to format
the cell to hold the zeros?

JohnnyQuick

Hey Chip

I'm doing an upload that requires a "number" format. However, alot of the
numbers have leading zeroes. Is "custom" 0000 considered a "number"
formatted field.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Use a custom number format of 000000 or as many zero as you need.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Shadyhosta" wrote in
message
I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I
place them in a
cell Excel automatically deletes the leading zeros. Is there a
way to format
the cell to hold the zeros?

Odicus

Put an Apostrophe (ie..'0001114) at the beginning. excel will then
treat your account number as text

Odie

--
Odicus