Ed

Default Formatting a cell as "text" in the number catagory.

I have a situation where cell D4 might contain either of the following
12 or A9
Another cell, H2, will contain the formula -
IF(D4=12,"yes",IF(D4="A9","no",""))
This formula deals with a cell that will contain either a number or an
alphabetic character. However the cells value will always be alphabetic.

Still another cell, H5, will contain the formula -
IF(D4=12,D4,IF(D4="A9",20,""))
This formula deals with a cell that will contain either a number or an
alphabetic character. This cells value might also be a number or an
alphabetic character.

Should cell D4 be number formatted as "general" or "text"?
Should cell H2 be number formatted as "general" or "text"?
Should cell H5 be number formatted as "general" or "text"?

With general format used for all cells, my macro stalls occasionally.
I think one or more of these cells are causing the problem.

Is text format the ideal format for any or all of these 3 cells?

Thankyou
Ed
Frank Kabel

Hi
use 'General' for this. Re your macro issue: You may post the code
which causes an error together with the exact error message

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Ed" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Ed

Hi
To further explore this "text" format catagory.
Can a number in a cell that is formatted as "text" be used in another cells
formula to calculate? In other words, can it be used as a part of a
comparison, or mathematical operation?
Thankyou
Ed

"Ed" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Frank Kabel

Hi
you can use it but you have to convert it back to a numeric value
before you do it. e.g. with
VALUE(cell_ref)
or
--cell_ref