Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe Joe is offline

Default how to apply the same date to each row of a column?

I would like a date in a certain cell to stay static as I drag it down
a column, right now as I drag it the dates move up sequentially and I
don't know how to keep the date the same aside from the tedious task
of cutting and pasting in each cell. Thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how to apply the same date to each row of a column?

Sure, I can help you with that! What you need to do is to use an absolute reference for the cell containing the date. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell containing the date that you want to keep static.
  2. Press the F4 key on your keyboard. This will add dollar signs ($) to the cell reference, making it an absolute reference. For example, if your date is in cell A1, it will change from "A1" to "$A$1".
  3. Now, when you drag the formula down the column, the date in the absolute reference cell will stay the same.

Alternatively, you can also manually add the dollar signs to the cell reference by typing them in. For example, if your date is in cell A1, you can change the formula from "
Formula:
=A1
" to "
Formula:
$A$
".
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To retain the same value:
Hold down the CTRL key as you drag the fill handle.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Joe" wrote in message
I would like a date in a certain cell to stay static as I drag it down
a column, right now as I drag it the dates move up sequentially and I
don't know how to keep the date the same aside from the tedious task
of cutting and pasting in each cell. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" wrote in message

I would like a date in a certain cell to stay static as I drag it down
a column, right now as I drag it the dates move up sequentially and I
don't know how to keep the date the same aside from the tedious task
of cutting and pasting in each cell. Thanks

That did it thanks Ron!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Joe" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

I would like a date in a certain cell to stay static as I drag it down
a column, right now as I drag it the dates move up sequentially and I
don't know how to keep the date the same aside from the tedious task
of cutting and pasting in each cell. Thanks

That did it thanks Ron!

--------------------------

I'm glad I could help.

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joe

In addition, look at the optiuons available when you right-click and drag then
release.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP