rgbytg

Default Replace function not working properly in Excel 2000 SP3

Whenever I attempt to use the "*" option in Excel, I use to be able to place
this in the replace with field to keep the same data as reference followed or
preceeded by the noted change. Example:
Smith, Carol
Jones, Cathy
Williams, Bill

Find: *,_
Replace with: *;_
to get:
Smith; Carol
Jones; Cathy
Williams; Bill

Now it just replaces all my data with an "*" and it looks like this:
*;
*;
*;

Has anyone experienced this or have a different solution?
Frank Kabel

Hi as * is a wildcarc charatcer use the following
~*
to search for an asterix

"rgbytg" wrote:

Whenever I attempt to use the "*" option in Excel, I use to be able to place
this in the replace with field to keep the same data as reference followed or
preceeded by the noted change. Example:
Smith, Carol
Jones, Cathy
Williams, Bill

Find: *,_
Replace with: *;_
to get:
Smith; Carol
Jones; Cathy
Williams; Bill

Now it just replaces all my data with an "*" and it looks like this:
*;
*;
*;

Has anyone experienced this or have a different solution?

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Find: ","
Replace: ";"

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<Attarkon.ee)

"rgbytg" wrote in message
Whenever I attempt to use the "*" option in Excel, I use to be able to

place
this in the replace with field to keep the same data as reference followed

or
preceeded by the noted change. Example:
Smith, Carol
Jones, Cathy
Williams, Bill

Find: *,_
Replace with: *;_
to get:
Smith; Carol
Jones; Cathy
Williams; Bill

Now it just replaces all my data with an "*" and it looks like this:
*;
*;
*;

Has anyone experienced this or have a different solution?

Ken Wright

Why wouldn't you just replace , with ; - Should be no need for a wildcard.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"rgbytg" wrote in message
Whenever I attempt to use the "*" option in Excel, I use to be able to place
this in the replace with field to keep the same data as reference followed or
preceeded by the noted change. Example:
Smith, Carol
Jones, Cathy
Williams, Bill

Find: *,_
Replace with: *;_
to get:
Smith; Carol
Jones; Cathy
Williams; Bill

Now it just replaces all my data with an "*" and it looks like this:
*;
*;
*;

Has anyone experienced this or have a different solution?

---

rgbytg

I guess that was a very bad example..
The main idea was that previously I was able to retain the data in the
wildcard * but no longer can.

"rgbytg" wrote in message
Whenever I attempt to use the "*" option in Excel, I use to be able to place
this in the replace with field to keep the same data as reference followed or
preceeded by the noted change. Example:
Smith, Carol
Jones, Cathy
Williams, Bill

Find: *,_
Replace with: *;_
to get:
Smith; Carol
Jones; Cathy
Williams; Bill

Now it just replaces all my data with an "*" and it looks like this:
*;
*;
*;

Has anyone experienced this or have a different solution?

---

rgbytg

I think I used a really bad example. The main problem I was trying to convey
was that I can no longer use the * wildcard in the "replace with" function to
identify a placemarker.

If the wildcard "*" represents all data followed by a space, I should be
able to
say find *_A , which should state find all data followed by a
space and a "A";
and replace with *_B . which should only replace that data followed by
a space, that had a "A" and replace it with a "B".

The object is not to replace all A's, just only that which is followed by
data, space, and the letter A.
This use to work for me. Now, all I get in the field is all of my data is
"*_B", where the asterix replaced all of my previously denoted data.