Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ann ann is offline

Default how to find z scores in statistics

How does one find z scores using excel ? I tried giving (x- mu )/sigma but
doing that for 500 values is cumbersome. Is there an easier way to do it .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 27, 9:27 pm, ann wrote:
How does one find z scores using excel ? I tried giving (x- mu )/sigma but
doing that for 500 values is cumbersome. Is there an easier way to do it .

Excel has a number of statistical functions built in. Among them is
normdist (which is the one you want). I strongly suggest using excel
help when looking for / using statisical functions, it is surprisingly
useful. Below is what excel help has to say about it:

NORMDIST
Returns the normal distribution for the specified mean and standard
deviation. This function has a very wide range of applications in
statistics, including hypothesis testing.
Syntax
NORMDIST(x,mean,standard_dev,cumulative)
X is the value for which you want the distribution.
Mean is the arithmetic mean of the distribution.
Standard_dev is the standard deviation of the distribution.
Cumulative is a logical value that determines the form of the
function. If cumulative is TRUE, NORMDIST returns the cumulative
distribution function; if FALSE, it returns the probability mass
function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For your formula, use a relative reference to a cell containing an x value
and absolute references to cells containing mu and sigma. Then copy the
formula so that it refers to the other x values.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com