Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Function Keys Not Working

My function keys are all not working. For example, I can't use F1 to access
help or F7 to access spelling. They don't work in Word either. I've looked
in Excel Options and can't figure it out.

I'm using Microsoft Office 2007.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you got one of those Microsoft keyboards with the F Lock button?

Toggle it on or off.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:07:45 -0800, Heidi
wrote:

My function keys are all not working. For example, I can't use F1 to access
help or F7 to access spelling. They don't work in Word either. I've looked
in Excel Options and can't figure it out.

I'm using Microsoft Office 2007.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I might have found something :)
from: http://www.blogdom.org/archives/000979.php

The keyboard has a feature (and associated button) called F-Lock. By
default, when the computer boots, F-Lock is turned on. In the F-Lock mode,
rather than sending the standard key commands for the function keys, the
keyboard sends special alternate commands (like print for F7 and save for F8)
that are configured in the iTouch program. In order to force the keyboard to
send the standard function key commands, you must TURN OFF F-Lock by pressing
the F-Lock button! Oh, and by the way, there are no indicator lights on the
keyboard, and the F-Lock button is an always up momentary button - just like
the keys on the keyboard, so there is no way to tell what state it is in,
other than by pressing it and then pressing an F key to see what happens!"

Any help?

"Heidi" wrote:

My function keys are all not working. For example, I can't use F1 to access
help or F7 to access spelling. They don't work in Word either. I've looked
in Excel Options and can't figure it out.

I'm using Microsoft Office 2007.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The F Lock button on my keyboard has an indicator light.

Jason Tsang has a couple of .REG files that will allow you to reverse the
default behaviour of the F Lock key or disable it.

One will change the default to "Off".
http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

The other will eliminate the F Lock feature totally. This one I use!!
http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock-e.html

Both are Zips have an Undo.REG and a Readme.txt file with them.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP