Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Default Path to Lookup from another document

Hi, first post ever ever! Can you help?

When using worksheet "A" I want an equation to look at one cell
reference in worksheet "B" searching for same reference and pull
information through. Worksheet "B" may not be open when lookup needs to
operate.

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501503

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Open workbook B.
Goto workbook A.
In your cell, type = then Ctrl-F6 to get to workbook, select the cell, then
Enter.

Workbook A will update the path when workbook B is closed.

--

HTH

RP

"Boethius1" wrote
in message ...

Hi, first post ever ever! Can you help?

When using worksheet "A" I want an equation to look at one cell
reference in worksheet "B" searching for same reference and pull
information through. Worksheet "B" may not be open when lookup needs to
operate.

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501503

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Bob Phillips Wrote:
Open workbook B.
Goto workbook A.
In your cell, type = then Ctrl-F6 to get to workbook, select the cell,
then
Enter.

Workbook A will update the path when workbook B is closed.

...................:)

Wow that was a quick reply, thanks it works great BUT!

with that method I am still doing the search, I want an automatic
method. I have typed the following equation but it is not working, any
ideas why path is wrong?

=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

With this equation I am trying to look up number from C4 within the
range of C4 to H41 from the file shown in path so that it will pull
through the text from column 3.

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501503

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ERR229

The syntax is incorrect - your paran is in the wrong place and you're missing
a comma:

You have
=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

You should have
=VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\gcodenewsetupcopy.xlsSheet1'!C4:H81,3)

BTW, you may want to add the final range argument to be "false" to avoid the
lookup bringing in the "closest match" to the requested data.
=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3, false)

Hope this helps.
--
ERR229

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Hi, thanks for your reply. However still can't get to work.

Have simplified path to

=VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\New Code Set
up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

When ask it to look it does not pull through info and deletes the C:
drive and folder path from equation to leave

=VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

Very confusing!

Thanks for the BTW but first things first!

Thanks, Sharon

----------------------:)

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

View this thread:

Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501503

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

That's because the workbook you lookup in is open, if you close it you'll
get the full path

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Boethius1" wrote in
message ...

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Thanks Peo, that makes sense. However problem remains the equation is
still not pulling through required information.

Any ideas?

Thanks

--------------:)

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Can you do this test, open both workbooks, then use

=C10= go to the other work book and click on the cell that is supposedly a
match, then press enter.

If you get FALSE there might be things like trailing or leading spaces, if
imported from the web there might be invisible line feed like char 160

Also use ,0 after the 3 (column index) like

=VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3,0)

or FALSE like in (0 is the same as FALSE in this case)

=VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3,FALSE)

that way your formula looks for an exact match (I believe this was mentioned
by an earlier poster) and can explain unexpected errors

Post back if you get FALSE with the comparison cell to cell

=C10=[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4

replace C4 with the cell you are sure is a match in the lookup workbook

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Boethius1" wrote
in message ...

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Hi and thanks, problem is sorted. Think it might have been the "FALSE"
addition but I have a feeling it was more to do with me walking away
from the problem for a couple of days!! Being self-trained on excel I
am sure it could get it to work a lot harder for me if I knew what I
was doing!
Thanks again, I am working on my next problem.