notloiseweiss

Default Updating linked cells within a workbook, from worksheet to workshe

(Excel 2002) I have a 5G Excel workbook with around 40 worksheets in it.
Many of the sheets contain cells that refer to values in other sheets. I
recently found that some of the values were incorrect (I believe they were
just not updated). When I double clicked on the cell, gained access to the
formula and then hit enter, the cell updated. I'm wondering 2 things -

1) Under what circumstances will cells NOT automatically update? I thought
they always updated automatically as long as you're working within the same
workbook.

2) Is there a way that I can update all cells at once?

Springbok

Check the options: Tools - Options - Calculation. You can apply settings
that automatically calculates each time it registers a change to a value that
is used in calculations. Alternatively you can change it so that you have to
manually tell it to calculate each time.

F9 re-calculates the workbook.

When you have such great capacity Excel may struggle to calculate - check
your status bar and it will report back on how far through the calculation
process it is as a percentage.

Cheers,
Jon

"notloiseweiss" wrote:

(Excel 2002) I have a 5G Excel workbook with around 40 worksheets in it.
Many of the sheets contain cells that refer to values in other sheets. I
recently found that some of the values were incorrect (I believe they were
just not updated). When I double clicked on the cell, gained access to the
formula and then hit enter, the cell updated. I'm wondering 2 things -

1) Under what circumstances will cells NOT automatically update? I thought
they always updated automatically as long as you're working within the same
workbook.

2) Is there a way that I can update all cells at once?

notloiseweiss

Thanks for the response.
I didn't know about this Tools - Options - Calculation setting, so it is
useful to know. Unfortunately, my setting is already on update.

I was aware of the 'status bar', so I don't think
that was it either...

Hi,

"notloiseweiss" wrote:

(Excel 2002) I have a 5G Excel workbook with around 40 worksheets in it.
Many of the sheets contain cells that refer to values in other sheets. I
recently found that some of the values were incorrect (I believe they were
just not updated). When I double clicked on the cell, gained access to the
formula and then hit enter, the cell updated. I'm wondering 2 things -

1) Under what circumstances will cells NOT automatically update? I thought
they always updated automatically as long as you're working within the same
workbook.

2) Is there a way that I can update all cells at once?

notloiseweiss

Thanks for the response.
I didn't know about this Tools - Options - Calculation setting, so it is
useful to know. Unfortunately, my setting is already on update.

The F9 is also good to know about, although it sounds like I shouldn't need
to use it since I already have automatic updates on...

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

I've never seen this happen in real life, but there have been a few posts that
describe your problem.

One suggestion is to try to wake up excel's calculation engine (may be the wrong
term!):

Edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: = (equal sign)
replace all

And under the Options button, you can choose Workbook so that you don't have to
do each worksheet individually.

There have been replies that say this works, but also questioning why this
happens and will it fix it forever.

I don't have a guess for either question.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I run into the exact situation as #1 below. The settings for calculation are
set to auto, but i still have to double-click in one of the cells in order
for all to recalculate.

In an unrelated Excel problem, I have successfully built links in several
spreadsheets/workbooks, however, on occassion, cells do not update/refresh
upon opening and "updating". Sometimes I have to open the supporting sheets
or books, save them and then re-open my target sheet and select update, then
the values are updated. Why is this?

George P.

"notloiseweiss" wrote:

(Excel 2002) I have a 5G Excel workbook with around 40 worksheets in it.
Many of the sheets contain cells that refer to values in other sheets. I
recently found that some of the values were incorrect (I believe they were
just not updated). When I double clicked on the cell, gained access to the
formula and then hit enter, the cell updated. I'm wondering 2 things -

1) Under what circumstances will cells NOT automatically update? I thought
they always updated automatically as long as you're working within the same
workbook.

2) Is there a way that I can update all cells at once?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Updating linked cells within a workbook, from worksheet to wor

I have a similar problem in Excel 2003. A cell linked to another cell in a
different worksheet in the same workbook does not update unless one or other
of the two cells is manually edited. Yet a later version of the same
workbook updates correctly. There are no links to external files and
calculation is set to manual.

I suspect that somehow Excel has lost track of whether the cell has been
updated or not (it only recalulates changed cells or cells based on changed
cells) as at one stage I had the "Iterations" option unticked. In the later
version of the file I ticked that option. However I cannot recreate the
error which is frustrating, so I cannot confirm this hypothesis.

Interesting that George P and I have both had the same or similar problems
within a few weeks, 2 years after the initial posting.