Denver

Default Why does Excel open a blank book1.xls also?

When I open a workbook by double clicking the workbook in a directory, Excel
opens a blank workbook named Book1.xls. How can I prevent this from
happening?
Dave Peterson

If that workbook is really named book1.xls, look in your XLStart folder for
Book1.xls.

And check tools|options|General tab
There's a box that allows you to specify a folder:
"At startup, open all files in:"

Either delete the entry from that box or remove book1.xls from that folder.

ps. If you can't find book1.xls this way, maybe you could use
windows start button|search and look for book1.xls
to locate that file (and folder).

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Denver

Try the usual fix(es).

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again.

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP