Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
g75

Default convert letters to numbers

Whats the quickest way to convert letters to numbers, a = 1, b = 2, c =
3, .....z = 26.
i.e. the cat sat on ............
would look like
20,8,5, 3,1,20, 19,1,20, 15,14,
so my child can convert "secret codes" with her friends.

Prefer the numbers to be displayed above the letter.

I can only think of excel to do this is this possible with Word?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tony h

You can do it either in Excel or word. Getting the letter values is
relatively easy using a for next loop, mid and asc functions. more
difficult is the layout. one easyish thought is to put them as
superscripts in word.

I hope you don't take offence at this but I think you are missing the
point. Which is to learn the conversions and be able to read and write
such secret codes without the aid of a computer. A couple of hours work
and she should know them all throughly. It is what mine did at 5 and 6.
Start by learning all the vowels and every 5th letter of the alphabet.

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
g75

Tony is it possible to show a working example of the excel code to be
able to convert this process.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tony h

Sub a()
Dim str As String
Dim strA As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim rng As Range

str = LCase(InputBox("enter words"))
If str < "" Then
Set rng = Worksheets(1).Range("A1")
For i = 1 To Len(str)
strA = Mid(str, i, 1)
rng = Asc(strA) + 1 - Asc("a")
rng.Offset(1) = strA
Set rng = rng.Offset(, 1)
Next
End If
MsgBox "done"

tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505341

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
g75

Tony, thanks for hanging in there, could you now tell me if you please,
how and where i enter this into the speadsheet.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tony h

tools - macros - vba
Insert - Module
paste code in the module window

Then from the worksheet window tools - macro - macros <select this
macro and run

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505341

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
g75

Tony, thats working a treat, easy when you know how!! Thank you for
your time

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
g75

Tony, could you possilbly show me how to do this in Word

PS my 4 year old is impressed with the conversion but she does not like
excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tony h

I suggest you look for help on this in a Word forum.

Regards