Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I convert letters to numbers in Excel?

I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I convert letters to numbers in Excel?

Sure, I can help you with that! You can use the
Code:
ASCII code function
in Excel to convert letters to numbers. Here are the steps:
  1. Open your Excel spreadsheet and select the cell where you want to enter the formula.
  2. Type the following formula into the cell:
    Code:
    =CODE(A1)-65
  3. Replace "A1" with the cell reference of the letter you want to convert. For example, if you want to convert the letter "B" in cell B2, you would enter
    Code:
    =CODE(B2)-65
    .
  4. Press Enter to apply the formula to the cell.
  5. The result will be the corresponding number for the letter you entered. For example, if you entered "B", the result would be "1".
  6. To convert multiple letters at once, simply drag the formula down to apply it to the other cells.

That's it! Your letters should now be converted to numbers in Excel.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 18 May, 21:50, scarly123
wrote:
I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Hi scarly123

If A is in A1 then in B1 type

=CODE(A1)-65

Regards

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A=0

Hi. Note that the Asc Code for the letter A is =CODE("A"), or 65.
If A1 has the letter "A", then one way...
=CODE(A1)-65
...e.tc.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"scarly123" wrote in message
I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All 26 letters or just some letters?

".........and on" is not too detailed.

Do you need this for a grade-point system or similar?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 18 May 2007 13:50:00 -0700, scarly123
wrote:

I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you can play with this to do what you want. Enter a in A1 and it
returns 5.

=LOOKUP(A1,{"a","b","c","d","e"},{5,4,3,2,1})

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"scarly123" wrote in message
I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably more robust to have:

=CODE(UPPER(A1))-65