Ann

Default Checking Winning Numbers in the Lottery.

For people who may not understand the lottery rules for the UK.

Person picks 6 numbers in the range 1 to 49 (no duplicates)

If all the 6 numbers come up then when the lottery numbers are announced,
then it is serious party time.

Problem: -

We have 25 people in our Lottery syndicate and therefore I want to automate
the checking of numbers that are announced with numbers that are pre-selected
by the 25 individuals. Additionally, I want to know how many numbers have
matched in an individual row against those announced.

E.G.

Assume lottery number announced (in ascending sequence are) 1, 15, 25, 38,
48, 49

Pre-selected numbers a-

Person A 4, 15, 20, 28, 35 49

Person B 1, 15, 25, 38, 47, 48.

Person C 6, 15, 25, 38, 41, 49

I would expect a match count of 2 for person A (15 and 49)

I would expect a match count of 5 for person B (1, 15, 25, 38, 48)

I would expect a match count of 4 for person C (15, 25, 38, 49)

I currently have the pre-selected numbers in a spreadsheet and I would just
want to key in the announced numbers in for it to work things out.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Thanks

Ann
Max

One way ..

Assuming the winning numbers will be entered in A1:F1 in Sheet1, for
example: 1, 15, 25, 38, 48, 49

(The numbers within A1:F1 need not be sorted, can be in any order)

And the picked #s are in Sheet2, in cols B to G, row1 down

4 15 20 28 35 49
1 15 25 38 47 48
6 15 25 38 41 49
etc

(as before, the numbers within each row need not be sorted)

Put in say, I1:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:G1,Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1,0)))

Copy I1 down

Col I will return the desired # of matched numbers

For the sample data, you'll get in I1:I3 : 2, 5, 4

--
Rgds
Max
"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Max

Since the winning numbers within A1:F1 in Sheet1 need not be sorted (can be
in any order), the winning numbers can actually be input as they are
progressively drawn/announced into the range from A1 to F1. Sheet2's col I
will then display the progressive calculated number of matches for each row.
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Ann

Max,

What can I apart from WOW and many thanks for you time.

I am new to these newsgroups and will be frequenting often if this is the
standard of help being offered.

Once again many thanks.