Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Selecting from drop down list enters multiple cell data

Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to have a drop down list and when a
entry is selected it automatically populates other cells with the
correct information (bit like an IF)

Example:
This is my data validation list for the drop downs in Worksheet 1.
A B C
1 Grapes Fruit 5 kgs
2 Beans Veges 7 kgs
3 Pear
4 Cauliflower

In my Worksheet 2 I would like to be able to select Beans from the
entries from Col A in cell reference B7 and when that is selected in
Veges will appear in C7 and 7 kgs in D7.

Any ideas? I use both 2003 & 2007 (in case there is any difference in
what functions are available)

cheers
Debbie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP formulas will pull the data to appropriate cells.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the choices.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Note the section on using DV lists from another worksheet by naming the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:19:42 -0800 (PST), DebbieV wrote:

Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to have a drop down list and when a
entry is selected it automatically populates other cells with the
correct information (bit like an IF)

Example:
This is my data validation list for the drop downs in Worksheet 1.
A B C
1 Grapes Fruit 5 kgs
2 Beans Veges 7 kgs
3 Pear
4 Cauliflower

In my Worksheet 2 I would like to be able to select Beans from the
entries from Col A in cell reference B7 and when that is selected in
Veges will appear in C7 and 7 kgs in D7.

Any ideas? I use both 2003 & 2007 (in case there is any difference in
what functions are available)

cheers
Debbie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need to do something similar but I need to have the same cell populated.
Using the same example below:
Grapes 5 kgs
Beans 7 kgs
Pear 8 kgs

In Worksheet 2 in cell A2 I would like to be able to choose Beans from the
drop down and have 7 kgs appear in A2. Beans will not appear in Worksheet 2
anywhere. I could not find a way to combine the drop down and VLOOKUP in
one cell.

Thanks!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I know of no way to achieve your goal of having all in one cell.

Browse through Debra Dalgleish's site on DV and see if something strikes your
fancy, but I see nothing to return a value in the same cell as a dropdown.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html

Gord