Junior Member

Unhappy Cut and "insert cut cells" in Excel 2007 doesn't work.

My excel 2007 on Windows 7 operating system on my "JOb computer" seems to have a probelm with regular cut function.
When I highlight cells I want to cut and press cut (either on keyboard shortcut Ctrl+x, Home menu cut command, or from the right-click menu) cells start flashing for a split second and after that they only turn normal as if cut was not active. When I want to paste them, they paste as if copy function was used. If I try to rightclick destination cell to use function "insert cut cells" it is not one of the offered options at all.

Does someone have similar problem or knows the solution?

On my home computer I have same combination, Excel 2007 on windows 7 and it works just fine. But my home OS is 32-bit Win7, and on job comp it is 64-bit version. Could this have caused the problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cut and "insert cut cells" in Excel 2007 doesn't work.

cici1810 has brought this to us :
My excel 2007 on Windows 7 operating system on my "JOb computer" seems
to have a probelm with regular cut function.
When I highlight cells I want to cut and press cut (either on keyboard
shortcut Ctrl+x, Home menu cut command, or from the right-click menu)
cells start flashing for a split second and after that they only turn
normal as if cut was not active. When I want to paste them, they paste
as if copy function was used. If I try to rightclick destination cell to
use function "insert cut cells" it is not one of the offered options at
all.

Does someone have similar problem or knows the solution?

On my home computer I have same combination, Excel 2007 on windows 7 and
it works just fine. But my home OS is 32-bit Win7, and on job comp it is
64-bit version. Could this have caused the problem?

You only get the "Insert cut cells" menu choice when you select entire
rows or cols. Otherwise, you're just moving data in cells from one
location to another. Note that Excel uses CutCopyMode for this
operation and so the only option you get is to "Paste" into the
selected target cell[s].

If you want to actually delete/insert cells that cause a shift in the
adjacent cells you need to do so before transferring your data.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Garry

I don't know the solution to OP's problem but I don't experience what
you state may be the problem.

My Excel 2007 has an "Insert Cut(or Copied)Cells" with the "shift"
options when cutting/copying any range, not just entire rows or
columns.

Gord

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:27:40 -0400, GS wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben explained on 4/16/2012 :
Garry

I don't know the solution to OP's problem but I don't experience what
you state may be the problem.

My Excel 2007 has an "Insert Cut(or Copied)Cells" with the "shift"
options when cutting/copying any range, not just entire rows or
columns.

Gord

Weel you're absolutely right, Gord! I've never tried this but I see now
that it works just as you say it does. Thanks for setting me straight
on this.., I just love it when I learn something new!<g

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to clarify...

I usually use InsertShift at the target location and drag-n-drop the
data. (I probably do this to avoid CutCopyMode and/or putting stuff on
the Clipboard so that pesky TaskPane doesn't display in XL11!<g)

Thus, I only use Cut for moving cols/rows around.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben used his keyboard to write :
Thanks.

I set my pesky XL11 TaskPane disabled so I never see it.

Gord

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:29:34 -0400, GS wrote:

Just to clarify...

I usually use InsertShift at the target location and drag-n-drop the
data. (I probably do this to avoid CutCopyMode and/or putting stuff on
the Clipboard so that pesky TaskPane doesn't display in XL11!<g)

Thus, I only use Cut for moving cols/rows around.

Yeah, that's an option I never thought of but since I'm used to using
InsertShift I'll just carry on with that practice. Not really sure why
I never tried doing it via CutInsertCutCellsShift other than avoiding
the clipboard, but it's a habit I got into that I don't mind
persisting.<g

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Junior Member

Thanx guys.
I ve tried to use Insert and shift and it just doesn't offer insetrting new cells but pastes over existing ones.

So it is not the problem that I don't know to use this function, the problem is it doesn't work as it used to work, and still works on my other computer.

And another problem is when I copy table from excel to word, it returns only unformatted text when pasting it in word document. Or when I try to copy table from one to another window in e-learning interface, it also doesn't paste as table, but as unformatted series of plain text.

Something is way to wrong with my system functioning and it is preventing me of getting things done.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cici1810 presented the following explanation :
Thanx guys.
I ve tried to use Insert and shift and it just doesn't offer insetrting
new cells but pastes over existing ones.

So it is not the problem that I don't know to use this function, the
problem is it doesn't work as it used to work, and still works on my
other computer.

And another problem is when I copy table from excel to word, it returns
only unformatted text when pasting it in word document. Or when I try to
copy table from one to another window in e-learning interface, it also
doesn't paste as table, but as unformatted series of plain text.

Something is way to wrong with my system functioning and it is
preventing me of getting things done.

Sounds to me like your MS Office install went badly and so I suggest
doing either 'Repair' from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs -OR-
re-installing.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This can be caused by the Skype Click to Call add-on (version
5.1.0.9560) that is installed into your browser when you install
Skype. Version 5.1.0.9560 has been known to cause the following
issues:

You use Copy in Excel, Word or PowerPoint and it only pastes Text.
Formatting is lost.
You use Cut in Word or PowerPoint and it only pastes Text. Formatting
is lost.
You use Cut in Excel and it performs a Copy and Paste as Text. The
original information remains and the pasted information loses
formatting and formulas.
When you use the right click menu to Paste, the Paste options are
limited to Text.
When you attempt to copy formulas in Excel, Excel only pastes the
values.
When you attempt to click on the Format Painter button in the Ribbon,
it does not work.
When you attempt to drag and drop cells within Excel, an error message
displays "The Clipboard cannot be emptied. Another program might be
using the Clipboard."

Skype has released a new version of the Click to Call add-on that
resolves this issue. You can download the newest version by clicking
on the following link and then*clicking the Download Now button:
Skype Click to Call

For more information, please visit the following KB article:
KB2697462 - Clipboard functionality no longer allows ability to paste
formatting in Office

Gord

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:59:58 +0000, cici1810
wrote:

Thanx guys.
I ve tried to use Insert and shift and it just doesn't offer insetrting
new cells but pastes over existing ones.

So it is not the problem that I don't know to use this function, the
problem is it doesn't work as it used to work, and still works on my
other computer.

And another problem is when I copy table from excel to word, it returns
only unformatted text when pasting it in word document. Or when I try to
copy table from one to another window in e-learning interface, it also
doesn't paste as table, but as unformatted series of plain text.

Something is way to wrong with my system functioning and it is
preventing me of getting things done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nice find, Gord! I've seen a similar post and completely forgot about
this issue causing these exact problems. I hate when other people's
software messes up stuff it has no business messing with in the first
place!<#$%

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Junior Member

[quote='Gord Dibben[_2_];1600898']This can be caused by the Skype Click to Call add-on (version
[...]

I've managed to find similar info yesterday evening, and uninstalled Skype click to call feature. Ecverything went back to normal.
Thank you anyway!

However, since I don't use CLick-to-call at all, I won't be looking for newer version.

Think this thread can be closed :)