Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DarkByte

Default SUGGESTION: Templating Excel

Don't know if any of you would like this but this is a feature i would find
very usefull.

The ability to have a Template Workbook. About how it works with Word. I.E.:
The Template is loaded and used by the current workbook.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Lautman

DarkByte wrote:
Don't know if any of you would like this but this is a feature i
would find very usefull.

The ability to have a Template Workbook. About how it works with
Word. I.E.: The Template is loaded and used by the current workbook.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I thought Excel already did that???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DarkByte

I wish it did !

But a template in Excel is just a starting point for a repetitive task.

In no way is the templated workbook associated to the template itself.

What would be usefull is the ability to have the templated workbook depend
on the template. If you change the template and re-open the templated
workbook, you can see stuff coming from the new template. For example, there
could be a new Column added to a sheet for which users would need to add
informations.

I understand that this situation is much more complex than having word
templates, but it would be fantastik in my opinion. There could also be a
Freeze Template or Detach for Template that would break the link to the
template while retaining whatever cell content the template was coming with.

"Paul Lautman" wrote:

DarkByte wrote:
Don't know if any of you would like this but this is a feature i
would find very usefull.

The ability to have a Template Workbook. About how it works with
Word. I.E.: The Template is loaded and used by the current workbook.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I thought Excel already did that???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It seems to me that you would have to have to enable a "track changes", and
that the changes you have done - the "Undo" list to a template edit, for
example - would have to be saved as part of the template. Then you would
have to have an option to update or not update a workbook to the latest
template. I could see advantages to this, but the complexity involved -
especially if you wanted to apply SOME change but not all - would be more
easily resolved by the older and likely easier route: time to convert your
spreadsheet to a database.