Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding text to equal text

Is ther a way to add two cells with text to equal another cell that contains
text?

basic example:

cell:yellow + cell:green = cell:blue

I have multiple choices for information that I would like to be able to add
together (ex. yellow and green)to equal an already established answer,(ex.
blue). Can I assign numeric values to these text cells so a formula will work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use an IF function. For example if A1:yellow and B1:green, and you
wanted C1 to say blue, then you could try the formula
=IF(A1="yellow",IF(B1="green","Blue",""),""). This formula would return Blue
in whatever cell you placed it in (C1 in this example), and would return
nothing if either A1:B1 was different or blank.
I hope this helps!

"Frank" wrote:

Is ther a way to add two cells with text to equal another cell that contains
text?

basic example:

cell:yellow + cell:green = cell:blue

I have multiple choices for information that I would like to be able to add
together (ex. yellow and green)to equal an already established answer,(ex.
blue). Can I assign numeric values to these text cells so a formula will work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In place of "Blue" you could just put D5 (withouth the quotation marks). The
formula will now put in C1 whatever you enter in D5 - if yellow is in A1 and
green is in B1. The formula would now look like this:
=IF(A1="yellow",IF(B1="green",D5,""),""). Does this help?

Cam

"Frank" wrote:

Thanks for the input, here is a follow up question

What if Blue is already another cell value (D5) this example. Using your
example could you have the formula return (D5) in cell (C1) if A1=yellow, and
B1=green.