Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Blue triangle in top left corner of cell?

What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left corner
of an Excel 2007 cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Isn't it green?
Then it might be the error warning symbol. If you select the cell, you'll get an exclamation mark and a drop down telling you what
the "error" is (like referring to currently empty cells)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill (St. Jude)" wrote in message
| What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left corner
| of an Excel 2007 cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Perhaps it is green - it is quite small. There is no error in the cell. A
small line goes across the top left of the corner of the cell and is colour
filled. My spreadsheet has lots of them. Bill

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Isn't it green?
Then it might be the error warning symbol. If you select the cell, you'll get an exclamation mark and a drop down telling you what
the "error" is (like referring to currently empty cells)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill (St. Jude)" wrote in message
| What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left corner
| of an Excel 2007 cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This does sound like the Error Checking feature. In Excel 2003 and earlier
the color is green. In 2007, the color is customizable (so it might be blue).

To test, try turning off Error Checking and see if the symbols disappear.

Click on the Office Button
Click on the "Excel Options" button
Choose Formulas on the left
Uncheck "Enable background error checking"
Click OK

HTH,
Elkar

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Isn't it green?
Then it might be the error warning symbol. If you select the cell, you'll get an exclamation mark and a drop down telling you what
the "error" is (like referring to currently empty cells)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill (St. Jude)" wrote in message
| What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left corner
| of an Excel 2007 cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you both for your help. Yes it is the error flag and in my case is
telling me that the cell contains a formula but the cell is not locked to
protect it from inadvertent change.