Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Default insert date

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

A couple of questions.....
1-Are you wanting today's date inserted in an empty cell whenever it's
selected in a certain column?
2-What would you like to have happen to cells in that column being selected
that already contain a date, or some other value?

You can do nearly as good by just holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the
semicolon key.........this will insert today's date in the selected cell.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Larry,
A worksheet event would handle this.

Take a look at

Come back if you need more help.

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Hey, I appreciate the help. I have been using the ctrl key, I have folks that
don't seem to be able to remember this feature. The cells with existing past
dates should remain unchanged, only the newest empty cell will be selected,
if it auto populated the date it would make some others happy. Thanks for the
feedback!

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Thanks CLR,
ans: yes and old dates remain.
Some of the folks usimng it can't seem to remember the ctrl ; keys. Thanks
for the help

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

This Change-event macro should do the job automatically......if the user
selects a cell in column that has a value therein, no affect.....if the cell
is blank, the macro will insert todays date.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column A when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 1 Then 'Limits macro action to column A
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Thanks again for the great help, I'll try this right away; I take it I
replace the A with C to change target column? Take care, larry

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Actually, to change from column A to column C, you would change the line
from:
If ActiveCell.Column = 1
To:
If ActiveCell.Column = 3

The two "columnA" in the notations can be changed also, but are only
comments and do not affect the operation

Vaya con Dios
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Goodmorning Chuck,
I have been trying to get the code you posted to work in my workbook but so
far have not. I did change the "1" to a "3", that's all. I pasted this code
into the "This workbook" with some other code I have:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column C when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else
End If

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("E:IV").Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
MsgBox "If you are entering a new waiver item, go ahead and enter it in the
next open line. When you are ready for a waiver number click in the empty box
and it will take you to the new waiver number generator; Follow the
instructions in the box there. To get a current date just select the empty
date box and hold down the Ctrl and ; keys, a new date will appear! When you
are done just click the RED X at the upper right to close, it will
automatically save your entries and the next time you need a number for any
waiver card the same steps will be taken: YOU NEED TO CLICK OK TO START
ENTERING DATA"
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub
noJoy

I then placed it into an existing module 1above this code:

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("B:B").Select
Range("B3").Activate
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="WAIVER%20NO.xls", _
TextToDisplay:=""

End Sub\
again, no joy
I next created a new module and pasted there and still no luck.

I am just too much of a novice to do this in a timely manner; Any more help?
Thanks man. larry
************************************

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

You're doing fine, it's just that this particular macro goes in the Worksheet
module, not the Workbook and not a regular module..........rightclick on the
sheet tab, then Viewcode, then in the small window on the left at the top of
the editor window, choose Worksheet, then paste the code in the large editor
window..........and if you copy/paste the macro out of your email, don't
forget to add the End Sub at the end.....post back if you still have problems.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Glad you got it working...........and thanks for the feedback.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Say Chuck, I know I'm gonna owe you a six pack or something by the time Im
done, do you happen to have a quick little bit of code that will open a drop
down each time an empty cell is clicked? Something that allows the user to
select from a list of pre-written entries? Just askin' Thanks again; oh and
what kind of beer or wine drink?

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Add tis to a Worksheet module..........it's set up to only work in column D,
from a list in J1:J5.....those parameters can be changed if desired. As soon
as you select a blank cell in column D, the Validation will be applied and
the Dropdown arrow will appear......select it, then select any item thereon
(that you have previously entered in J1:J5)......

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected cell in
column D
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= _
xlBetween, Formula1:="=$J$1:$J$5" 'J1:J5 is location of the list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Oh, I don't drink or smoke since my Triple, but thanks anyway. One night
long ago I was on my way home from work at 10pm on the freeway as I lived all
the way across town, when my car quit running. I was poor, the gas read "E"
so I figured I had run out and hitch-hiked a couple of miles to a get-off at
a service station. The guy who picked me up waited for me and turned around
and drove me back to my car and waited for me to get it started. It wouldn't
start, so he said "I've been a Ford mechanic for 20 years, let me look at
it". He did and immediately found the Distributor cap to be broken in two
pieces. He said wait and went back to his car and returned with a brand new
one, put it on and the car started fine. I offered a Steak dinner, my 1st
born, anything in return for his kindness. He said only, "help someone else
whenever you get a chance"........If you really want to thank me, then you do
the same, "help someone else whenever you get a chance".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

chuck,
Thanks, my wife and I agree, we have the same philosophy and enjoy it much.
Sometimes we will be out at a restaurant and see someone or a couple and get
the waiter to just give us the bill, telling them only it is taken care of,
it's great to see their smiles and amusement. 'course one time I did this
when I spied a young man and his son, turns out they were having a birthday
party upstairs with 15 people! what a joyous surprise; we were blessed with a
good income then and thought little of it except to chuckle and swear to be
more aware next time. May you and yours have a great Independence day weekend

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Happy to help Larry, and thank you kindly for the feedback..........I enjoyed
your story too...........the best to you and yours as well.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Hi chuck,
I put the following in a new worksheet module( module 2):

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected cell in
Column E
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xl ValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= xl Between , Formula1:="=$E$1:$E$50" 'E1:E50 is location of
the list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else
I am getting an error at:Operatorxl Between for := . I hae tried to change
the syntax on this but it will not stop showing an error. Any ideas? thanks

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Hi Larry........
That's a Change-event macro that goes in a Worksheet module, not a Regular
module like module2. Right click on the sheet tab, then choose ViewCode,
then paste it in the window that appears..........

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Oh. . . o.K. I can do that, now I want to have the same code in each
worksheet of the workbook,correct? i.e. I already have the date code you
provided in there and have tried eliminating the end sub between them, seems
it does not want to work this way.

[...]

I have been looking to learn more about this and have found some info about
this and found some info in "CONTEXTURES" web sight dealing with dynamic
lists that will update whenever something is added. Ilike that feature and am
also trying to figure this one out. I'll get eventually!

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

I'm on my way out right now, will have to pick any follow on up from homw
later......for now, try not only eliminating the ENDSUB between the two, but
also the sencond leading line of

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

If that don't work, I'll have to look at it later.........
Quitting time in St. Petersburg, Florida........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Thanks CLR,
ans: yes and old dates remain.
Some of the folks usimng it can't seem to remember the ctrl ; keys. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Ok Larry...........I checked it out a little more here at home..........the
only difference is that unless you want to have a different List on each
sheet, then you have to give the List a RangeName on one sheet.........I
used "MyList" so the code works with that but yu can change it if you want,
or use separate lists on each sheet, according to your
needs...........here's the code for both of the macros to work
together.........must be put in worksheet module of each sheet you want them
to work in.........

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected cell in
'column D
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= _
xlBetween, Formula1:="=mylist" '$J$1:$J$5" 'J1:J5 is location of
the list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else
End If

To:

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically

when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chuck, yer a prince. I hope your wekend went well. Best to you and your, larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Glad to hear you got it working Larry. Yup, my weekend is going
good............I got the whole week off (without pay). I'm 67 and just
moved 11,200 pounds of marble chips by hand, filling in our flower
beds........really looks nifty, but I can hardly move now <g

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote in message
Chuck, yer a prince. I hope your wekend went well. Best to you and your,

larry

"CLR" wrote:

Ok Larry...........I checked it out a little more here at

home..........the

"CLR" wrote:

You're doing fine, it's just that this particular

macro
goes in the Worksheet
module, not the Workbook and not a regular

module..........rightclick on the
sheet tab, then Viewcode, then in the small window

on
the left at the top of
the editor window, choose Worksheet, then paste the

code
in the large editor
window..........and if you copy/paste the macro out

of
your email, don't
forget to add the End Sub at the end.....post back

if
you still have problems.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default New Code

Hi Chuck,
I found this handy bit of code IN Contextures samples. I managed to tweat it
to do what I have been after.

IN MODULE 1 I HAVE:

Option Explicit

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("B:B").Select
Range("B3").Activate
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="WAIVER%20NO.xls", _
TextToDisplay:=""
End If
Else

NO SHEET 1OR2

IN SHEET 3 (LISTS)I HAVE:

Option Explicit

Columns(1).Sort Key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, _
MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
End Sub

IN SHEET 4(86x36236; an auto number)
I HAVE:

Option Explicit

On Error Resume Next
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim i As Integer
Set ws = Worksheets("Lists")
If Target.Column = 3 And Target.Row 1 Then
If Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ws.Range("Na meList"),
Target.Value) Then
Exit Sub
Else
i = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
ws.Range("A" & i).Value = Target.Value
ws.Range("NameList").Sort Key1:=ws.Range("A1"), _
Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

THIS WORKS GREAT IN AUTO UPDATING MY LIST BUT I CANNOT GET THE DATE ENTRY
CODE TO PLAY WITH THE OTHER CODE. I AM ASSUMING I NEED TO HAVE IT IN SHEET
MODULE 4 WHERE ALL THE WORK IS BEING DONE?
I WANT TO ADD THE FOLLOWING CODE YOU PROVIDED; HELP??

If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Larry..........

Just add my code as a complete separate macro below the other one you have
for Sheet4..........just copy what is below here and paste it in place below
the other macro after it's "END SUB"......

"Larry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default My newest setup

thanks Chuck,
I thought I had tried that but it is working pretty good now. I am getting
close to what I am after.
There are two issues I am searching to solve:

1: The first list(column A) on the Lists worksheet can contain any number
of items but the input worksheet (column C) where descrepencies are
annotated, will only go to row 17 and then no drop down will appear.
I tried to create a combo box and set the rows but this did not change the
limitation I am having.

2: The second list (column C) on the listss page is static and has a
rangename "Initials" ,it is finite and has a width of 8.43. On the input
sheet this drop down is o.k. except for the format, the column width is
pretty wide and I have not found the way to control this demension.
As Always, I appreciate your help and knowledge greatly. Larry

"Larry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Larry.........
Well, this has gone beyond the point where I can understand it in my old
head without actualy seeing code or seeing it work...........if you want,
you can send a copy to my home addy with an explanation of what you are
supposed to see and where..........or whatever, and I will take a
My home addy is croberts at tampabay period rr period com,
making the obvious replacements.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3