Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
genevieveg

Default clearing a cell and keeping the formula

hi Im new to excel I seem to lose my formula's everytime I go back to
enter some data that I may enter wrong for example I have put the
formula in and go back and put a number in the cell and find it's the
wrong # so I backspace or hit delete and I lose my formula and clear
the cell what am I doing wrong??:)

--
genevieveg
genevieveg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30333

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Chip Pearson

A cell can contain either a formula or a constant value, not
both. There is no way to "clear a cell and keep the formula".

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"genevieveg"
wrote
in message

hi Im new to excel I seem to lose my formula's everytime I go
back to
enter some data that I may enter wrong for example I have put
the
formula in and go back and put a number in the cell and find
it's the
wrong # so I backspace or hit delete and I lose my formula and
clear
the cell what am I doing wrong??:)

--
genevieveg
genevieveg's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
genevieveg

I don't understand??? I make a spreadsheet with formula's on it and than
so I clear it I lose the formula why dose it work with the numbers in
it when I dont go back and clear it???

--
genevieveg
genevieveg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30333
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499995

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

gg

Show us one of your formulas before you clear it.

Then tell us what you are doing to "clear it"

An example of a formula................entered in A1

=1+2+3 would equal 6

Do you want to edit this so you get 8 instead of 6?

Hit F2 key and change just the 1 to 3 and <ENTER to get 8

Formulas usually collect data from other cells like...........

in A1 you have =B1*C1

As you change the data in B1 or C1 then A1 will show those changes.

If you type directly into A1 you will lose the formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:17:56 -0600, genevieveg
wrote:

I don't understand??? I make a spreadsheet with formula's on it and than
so I clear it I lose the formula why dose it work with the numbers in
it when I dont go back and clear it???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Chris Hoagland

protect the worksheet so the formulas stay in it . then you can change or
delete the data and the formula stays..
"genevieveg" wrote
in message ...

hi Im new to excel I seem to lose my formula's everytime I go back to
enter some data that I may enter wrong for example I have put the
formula in and go back and put a number in the cell and find it's the
wrong # so I backspace or hit delete and I lose my formula and clear
the cell what am I doing wrong??:)

--
genevieveg
genevieveg's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499995

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Let's see if I stumbled onto what you're looking for.....

1)You have a formula in a cell
2)You type some value in that cell and press [Enter]
(obiliterating the formula and replacing it with your new entry)

3)You realize you made a mistake and you want your formula back

If that is your situation.....
EditUndo
That will reverse your input and restore the formula.

Also, each time you EditUndo....Excel will back up another step (up to 10
times)

(A short cut for EditUndo is to Hold down the [Ctrl] key and press Z )

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro