Guy H via OfficeKB.com

Default chart display order

I use a spreadsheet that shows the 'percentage of completion' for about 50
items, each on a different row, with 5 columns of data (other 4 colums being
other related info). I want to put a bar chart next to it to the 5th column
(the percentage column) which show a graphical illustration of that
percentage. When I insert the chart I get everything I want except it always
shows the date 'in reverse' from top to bottom, eg: the 100% data at the top
of the spread sheet is shown down on the bottom of the graph adjacent to the
0% data. I have tried everything. Reversing the plotting order only moves
it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?
Jon Peltier

Your problem isn't too clear. Do you need the percentages plotted on a
secondary Y axis? Double click the series, and on the Axis tab, select
Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Guy H via OfficeKB.com wrote:

I use a spreadsheet that shows the 'percentage of completion' for about 50
items, each on a different row, with 5 columns of data (other 4 colums being
other related info). I want to put a bar chart next to it to the 5th column
(the percentage column) which show a graphical illustration of that
percentage. When I insert the chart I get everything I want except it always
shows the date 'in reverse' from top to bottom, eg: the 100% data at the top
of the spread sheet is shown down on the bottom of the graph adjacent to the
0% data. I have tried everything. Reversing the plotting order only moves
it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?

Guy H via OfficeKB.com

Jon: Thanks so much for your timely reply. I'll try to be more specific.
The series order of the data in my chart is reversed from the series order of
the data on the spread sheet. So the older jobs, nearer the top of the
spreadsheet, and naturally closer to completion, have higer percentage
numbers. The opposite holds true for newer jobs. When I insert the chart to
reflect those percentages (to make it easy for the big boss to look at ) the
chart appears 'upside down' as it relates to the series order. If it was
only 3 or 4 items I could change the series order using the function
available, but its 50 or so, and I just know I'm missing something or doing
something wrong to make that graph keep coming in 'upside down'. OK?
To complicate it, I place that chart adjacent to the spreadsheet numbers so
each 'bar' on the bar chart lines up with each corresponding row on the
spreadsheet - for a nice graphic effect, but I do have trouble getting the
font sizes right without some work).

Jon Peltier wrote:
Your problem isn't too clear. Do you need the percentages plotted on a
secondary Y axis? Double click the series, and on the Axis tab, select
Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

I use a spreadsheet that shows the 'percentage of completion' for about 50
items, each on a different row, with 5 columns of data (other 4 colums being

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?

Jon Peltier

Guy -

Excel has a particular order in which it orders series.

Probably the easiest way to do what you want is to insert numbers 1 to
50 (or whatever N is) intoa blank column, and sort this column in
descending order before creating the chart. After the chart is created,
with the series in reverse order of the upside down data, sort the
helper column in ascending order, and now the series should jibe with
the sheet.

- Jon
-------

Jon Peltier wrote:

Your problem isn't too clear. Do you need the percentages plotted on a
secondary Y axis? Double click the series, and on the Axis tab, select
Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

I use a spreadsheet that shows the 'percentage of completion' for about 50
items, each on a different row, with 5 columns of data (other 4 colums being

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?

Guy H via OfficeKB.com

Jon:
Again, thanks for your timely repsonse. I'll play with that idea. It's not
perfect only because I'm trying to keep them in order by job number which is
chronological, (we build houses and assign a job number to each one like
5005 (fifth house in 05, etc), but I'll try thinkin' outside the box for a
while. What gets me is I've gotten it right several times, I just have great
difficulty recreating my success. Guess I need to write it down.
Thanks again.
Guy Howe

Jon Peltier wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]
it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?

Guy H via OfficeKB.com

Jon:
Well, this is giving me a headache. I've been sorting it as you suggested
and several other ways, none of which change the fact that the series order
displayed in the chart is 'reversed' (top to bottom) from the datea in the
spreadsheet. Making me kinda crazy. Got to go to a meeting. Any help you
may be able to provide on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Guy

Guy H wrote:
Jon:
Again, thanks for your timely repsonse. I'll play with that idea. It's not
perfect only because I'm trying to keep them in order by job number which is
chronological, (we build houses and assign a job number to each one like
5005 (fifth house in 05, etc), but I'll try thinkin' outside the box for a
while. What gets me is I've gotten it right several times, I just have great
difficulty recreating my success. Guess I need to write it down.
Thanks again.
Guy Howe

Guy -

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
it from left to right justified. I need it flipped top to bottom. It
doesn't matter in what order the date is acquired for the chart. Help?

Jon Peltier

Do you mean series order in the legend?

Why don't you post a dozen rows of the data, and indicate which columns
are in the chart.

- Jon
-------