Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting Blank Cells

I have a worksheet similar to this:
A B C D E
1 Fname Lname Relative RelFName RelLName
2 Jim Jones Dad Robert Jones
3 Mom Nancy Jones
4 Sister Haley Jones
5 Liz White Mom Beth White
6 Dad Bill White
7 Uncle Joe Jackson
8 Grandfather Earl Wilson
9 Frank Anderson Dad Jim Anderson
10 Mom Betty Anderson
11 Grandfather Harry Early

12

Row 1 is the header row.
I want to sort Col A and/or Col B but keep the relative infromation with the
right people. I think I could do it if I had the FName and LName typed in
each cell rather than leaving them blank, but it looks odd. Is there a
better way? I've tried merging cells A2:A4 and B2:B4, etc but it will not
sort properly.
Hank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't merge any cells.

Select all the data, including the header row (i.e. A1:E11 in your
example) and choose Data | Sort from the pull-down menus. Ensure that
Header Row is ticked, and you can then choose to sort by Lname
followed by Fname. All the related data will be kept on the same rows
- do not use the Sort icon from the toolbar, as this doesn't always
work in the way you wish it to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 28, 1:01 am, "Hank" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"...do not use the Sort icon from the toolbar, as this doesn't always work in
the way you wish it to." Classic understatement! <g

Hank - not to sidetrack things: Pete_UK told you how to do it and get it
done the way you want/expect.

On Jun 28, 1:01 am, "Hank" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the help. Looks my example did not print out like I wanted.
Hopefully the following will show up better.

A B C
D E
1 FName LName Relationship RelFName
RelLName
2 Jim Jones Dad
Robert Jones
3 Mom
Nancy Jones
4 Sister
Haley Jones
5 Liz White Mom
Beth White
6 Dad
Bill White
7 Uncle
Joe Jackson
8 Grandfather
Earl Wilson
9 Frank Anderson Dad Jim
Anderson
10 Mom
Betty Anderson
11 Grandfather
Harry Early

I want to sort only col A and B. The Col C - E must remain with the
correct names shown in Col A and B.
I have not been able to do this by selecting the sort field and using the
"sort" drop down menu even when I check "Header Row".
If I put "Jim" in A3, and A4, "Jones" in B3 and B4 and duplicate the other
names in the blank cells it will work OK - just does not look as good.
I have type the names in the blank cells and used a white font color for the
duplicates - works OK, but is there another way.
Hope my example shows up better this time.

Thanks again
Hank

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, I begin to see what you are having a problem with... Let's use an .x. to
show where empty cells are, and what I see you having is one person's name in
columns A and B with some relative in C, D and E. Then below that same
person you may have other relatives in C, D and E for them, but you have not
entered their names (saving typing and perhaps making seeing relationships
easier), as:

A B C D E
1 LName FName Rel. RFName RLName
2 Jones John Dad Bill Jones
3 .x. .x. Mom Ella Smith
4 .x. .x. Sis Joan Jones
5 Brown Mary .... .... ....

and that situation does cause Excel to sort them in a rather unpleasant
manner by putting all of the entries with empty cells in A and B at the
bottom of the list.

I've prepared some code below that should solve this problem for you. You
do need to make one change to your layout. I strongly suggest (and the code
expects it) that you insert a new column A and label it Sequence. In that
column will be numeric entries indicating the sequence you made an entry into
that row in. This will help keep groups consisting of same named individual
in the order you entered them in initially (Dad, Mom, Sister) when they are
sorted. It also gives you a way to go back to ground zero with the list
should anything get messed up later on.

That pushes LName into B, FName into C and Relationship into D. Like this:

A B C D E
1 Sequence LName FName Rel. RFName RLName
2 1 Jones John Dad Bill
Jones
3 2 .x. .x. Mom Ella
Smith
4 3 .x. .x. Sis Joan
Jones
5 4 Brown Mary .... ....
6 5 .x. .x. .... ....

with this layout, the code below will become functional. To insert the code
into the workbook, press [Alt]+[F11] to enter the VB Editor. Choose Insert
| Module from its menu bar. Copy and paste all of the code below into the
module and close the VB Editor. Now to fill empty cells, sort the names and
then undo the 'fill' operation all you have to do is use Tools | Macro |
Macros and [Run] the SortFamilyEntries macro.

The code also assumes that there is always some entry in the Relationship
column all the way down through all "rows of interest", i.e. those that are
to be sorted.

What they do: FillForSorting fills empty cells based on previous name entry
(it does expect there to be a real name entry at row 2 at a minimum).
It then callse SortThem to sort by:
LName, FName, Sequence

Then DeleteCreatedDuplicates goes through and finds the formulas that
FillForSorting created and removes them, making the cells empty again!

Sub SortFamilyEntries()
FillForSorting
SortThem
DeleteCreatedDuplicates
End Sub

Sub FillForSorting()
'change to column with relationship in it
Const relColumn = "D"
Dim lastRelRow As Long
Dim rOffset As Long
Dim baseCell As Range

If Val(Left(Application.Version, 2)) < 12 Then
'in pre-2007 Excel
lastRelRow = _
Range(relColumn & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Else
'in pre-2007 Excel
lastRelRow = _
Range(relColumn & Rows.CountLarge).End(xlUp).Row
End If
If lastRelRow < 3 Then
'nothing to do, really
Exit Sub
End If
'expects there will always be a name in row 2
Set baseCell = Range(relColumn & 2) ' D2
rOffset = 1 ' initialize
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Do While baseCell.Row + rOffset <= lastRelRow
'duplicate names into empty cells
'check if column B needs LName
If IsEmpty(baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -2)) Then
baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -2).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=R[-1]C"
End If
'check if column C needs FName
If IsEmpty(baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -1)) Then
baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -1).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=R[-1]C"
End If
rOffset = rOffset + 1
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sub DeleteCreatedDuplicates()
[...]

'erase duplicated names in cells
'check if column B has formula, not a name
If baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -2).HasFormula Then
If baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -2).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=R[-1]C" Then
baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -2) = ""
'check if column C has formula, not a name
If baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -1).HasFormula Then
If baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -1).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=R[-1]C" Then
baseCell.Offset(rOffset, -1) = ""
rOffset = rOffset + 1
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Sub SortThem()
'change any of these Const
'values as required for sheet layout
'address of first LName entry
Const LastName = "B2"
'address of first FName entry
Const FirstName = "C2"
'address of first Sequence #
Const Sequence = "A2"
'last column with data to include in sort
Const lastColToSort = "F"
'column with the Relationship entry in it
Const relColumn = "D"
Dim lastRelRow As Long
Dim sortRange As Range

If Val(Left(Application.Version, 2)) < 12 Then
'in pre-2007 Excel
lastRelRow = _
Range(relColumn & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Else
'in pre-2007 Excel
lastRelRow = _
Range(relColumn & Rows.CountLarge).End(xlUp).Row
End If
If lastRelRow < 3 Then
'nothing to do, really
Exit Sub
End If

Set sortRange = Range("A1:" & lastColToSort & lastRelRow)
sortRange.Sort Key1:=Range(LastName), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Key2:=Range(FirstName), Order2:=xlAscending, _
Key3:=Range(Sequence), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
Range("B1").Select
End Sub

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your hard work.

Looks like it's almost right. The only problem I found is that it also
sorts the header row. How can I tweak it to fix that?

Hank

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try changing the
Header:=xlYes,
parameter down in the sort to
Header:=xlGuess,

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Works better except I get - Run Time error'1004': "Operaton requires merged
cells to be identically sized"

This show highlighted:
sortRange.Sort Key1:=Range(LastName), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Key2:=Range(FirstName), Order2:=xlAscending, _
Key3:=Range(Sequence), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

But the form is properly sorted except for the duplicate entries. If I then
run the DeleteCreatedDuplicates macro - the work sheet is sorted just the
way I wanted.
What can I do to stop the run time error?

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Now you know one of the reasons we so often recommend not using merged cells.
They cause all kinds of 'hidden' problems like this one.

temporarily rewrite this one routine:
Sub SortFamilyEntries()
FillForSorting
Exit Sub ' just fill up for temporary testing
SortThem
DeleteCreatedDuplicates
End Sub

Run that and it'll just fill things up and then quit. Now record a macro
while you go through the whole operation of selecting the cells to be sorted
and sorting them by Last name, first name and sequence #. Modify the code
recorded you record to look much like the code in the sorting area that I
provided and put it in place of the .Sort code there. You'll need to change
what you record from Selection.Sort to sortRange.Sort and make other changes
to it dealing with the Range(...) parameters it recorded so it blends into
the SortThem() routine properly. If that doesn't go well for you, copy the
code that your macro recorded and post it here and we'll try to help revise
it to work.

Best thing would be to get rid of those darned merged cells!