Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Overwritten Equations

Hi,

In one of my worksheets, some cells are overwriting the equations with the
equation value - but this is not happening in all of the cells.

For instance, in cell A1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become
"1000".
In cell, B1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become "=+12000/12".
However, in cell A1, when I type "=12000/12", the cell contents are
"=12000/12".

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This only seems to happen in one
specific workbook (and, unfortunately, there is too much data and formatting
to re-create the file).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like some cell are formatted Text; you want them all to be General
when you type the formulas. Let us know if this works for you
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dbsocal" wrote in message

In one of my worksheets, some cells are overwriting the equations with the
equation value - but this is not happening in all of the cells.

For instance, in cell A1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents
become
"1000".
In cell, B1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become
"=+12000/12".
However, in cell A1, when I type "=12000/12", the cell contents are
"=12000/12".

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This only seems to happen in
one
specific workbook (and, unfortunately, there is too much data and
formatting
to re-create the file).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Unfortunately, all of the cells are formatted as "number", so this won't work.

Any other thoughts?
--
Thanks

"dbsocal" wrote in message

In one of my worksheets, some cells are overwriting the equations with the
equation value - but this is not happening in all of the cells.

For instance, in cell A1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents
become
"1000".
In cell, B1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become
"=+12000/12".
However, in cell A1, when I type "=12000/12", the cell contents are
"=12000/12".

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This only seems to happen in
one
specific workbook (and, unfortunately, there is too much data and
formatting
to re-create the file).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried deleting the formulas, formatting the cells and retyping the
formulas?
By the way, in Excel formulas begin with = not + as in Lotus 1-2-3
best wishes
--

"dbsocal" wrote in message

In one of my worksheets, some cells are overwriting the equations with
the
equation value - but this is not happening in all of the cells.

For instance, in cell A1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents
become
"1000".
In cell, B1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become
"=+12000/12".
However, in cell A1, when I type "=12000/12", the cell contents are
"=12000/12".

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This only seems to happen in
one
specific workbook (and, unfortunately, there is too much data and
formatting
to re-create the file).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

In some of the workbooks I have, it doesn't seem to matter whether the
cell's format is General or Number. In some workbooks, the cell only retains
the equation if the format is General, but in other workbooks, the cell will
retain the equation when the format is Number.

There is a possibility that the different workbooks were created with
different versions of Excel. Could that be the issue?

I use the "+" sign to begin the equations because I use a 10-key numberpad
that does not contain an "=" sign.
--
Thanks

"dbsocal" wrote in message

In one of my worksheets, some cells are overwriting the equations with
the
equation value - but this is not happening in all of the cells.

For instance, in cell A1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents
become
"1000".
In cell, B1, when I type "+12000/12", the cell contents become
"=+12000/12".
However, in cell A1, when I type "=12000/12", the cell contents are
"=12000/12".

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This only seems to happen in
one
specific workbook (and, unfortunately, there is too much data and
formatting
to re-create the file).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Reformatting the cell as anything but text (number or general) isn't enough.
You also have to have excel re-evaluate the formula.

You could either retype the formula or just hit F2, then enter.

Or maybe you could select the range to fix and use:
edit|replace
what: +
with: +
replace all

Make sure you change the format first, though.

"dbsocal" wrote in message

[...]

Dave Peterson