Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Table Help PLEASE

I have the following data:
Report Date Report Area
8/24/2007 Dept. 1
8/25/2007 Dept. 3
8/27/2007 Dept. 3
9/7/2007 Dept. 5
9/10/2007 Dept. 1
9/20/2007 Dept. 3
10/2/2007 Dept. 2
10/3/2007 Dept. 1
10/7/2007 Dept. 4
10/8/2007 Dept. 1

I am tryin to create a pivot table to give me the following information that
I can then create a chart out of

Reports for Aug: 3 (w/Subtotal by Dept Area ie: 1 from Dept. 1 & 2 from
Dept. 3)
Reports For Sept.: 3 (w/Subtotal by Dept Area ie: 1 from Dept. 1, & 1 from
Dept. 3, 1 from Dept. 5)
Reports For Oct.: 4 (w/Subtotal ...)

Can this be done in a pivot table? If so, how? I use the formula
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A104=DATE(2007,8,1))*($A$2:A104 <=DATE(2007,8,31))) in my
spreadsheet, but do not know how to cross this over o the pivot table and
incorporate the dept. subtotal part.

Any advice on how to get this done would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With dates in ColumnA, Dept. in ColumnB, and the values in ColumnC, try this:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A1:A100)=8),--(C1:C100))

As far as I can tell, this doesn't really lend itself to use in a Pivot
Table, unless you group the date, and perhaps use a frequency distribution,
or some kind of histogram, or some such thing.

Hope that helps,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy