Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you lock the column width?

I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can you lock the column width?

Yes, it is possible to lock the column width in Excel while still allowing data to be entered in the column. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Select the column(s) that you want to lock the width of.
  2. Right-click on the selected column(s) and choose "Column Width" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Column Width" dialog box, enter the desired width for the column(s) and click "OK".
  4. Next, select the entire worksheet by clicking on the box to the left of the column A header and above the row 1 header.
  5. Right-click on any selected cell and choose "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Protection" tab.
  7. Check the box next to "Locked" to lock all cells in the worksheet.
  8. Uncheck the box next to "Locked" for the column(s) that you want to allow data entry in.
  9. Click "OK" to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
  10. Finally, protect the worksheet by clicking on the "Review" tab in the ribbon and selecting "Protect Sheet".
  11. In the "Protect Sheet" dialog box, choose the options you want to allow users to do, such as selecting unlocked cells, and enter a password if desired.
  12. Click "OK" to protect the worksheet.

Now, the column width is locked, but users can still enter data in the unlocked cells of the column(s) you specified.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--Select the range of cells in which the user needs to be allowed to enter
data. Right clickProtection tabuncheck 'Locked
--From menuToolsProtectionProtect sheet. From the list allow everything
except 'format columns' and 'format rows'
--Hit OK (If you need you can assign a password..)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Nightshade" wrote:

I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pada Kamis, 22 Oktober 2009 0:18:03 UTC+7, Nightshade menulis:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

thanx guys! verry helpful
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Nightshade" wrote:

I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Thanks Jacob, you just saved me hours that would have been wasted on trial and error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Nightshade" wrote:

I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

This worked perfectly. Thanks bud!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:48:03 PM UTC+5:30, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Thanks Jacob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SC SC is offline

"Nightshade" wrote:

I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Brilliant. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Has something changed here in the UI? When I follow your path, I don't see an option to selectively choose what can or cannot be edited by other users...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:21:40 PM UTC+2, fn8tt0 wrote:
Has something changed here in the UI? When I follow your path, I don't see an option to selectively choose what can or cannot be edited by other users...

What I mean: In Menu Tools Protect Sheet I get to an interface entitled "Protected Sheets and ranges", and if I click on "Set Permissions" I only see/am able to add/delete people, but I cannot finetune WHAT these people are allowed to edit or not....

any help would be much appreciated. I want to lock the column widths in my sheet, but nothing else (i.e. collaborators should be able to insert data into cells, but not change column widths)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:21:40 PM UTC+2, fn8tt0 wrote:
Has something changed here in the UI? When I follow your path, I
don't see an option to selectively choose what can or cannot be
edited by other users...

What I mean: In Menu Tools Protect Sheet I get to an interface
entitled "Protected Sheets and ranges", and if I click on "Set
Permissions" I only see/am able to add/delete people, but I cannot
finetune WHAT these people are allowed to edit or not....

any help would be much appreciated. I want to lock the column widths
in my sheet, but nothing else (i.e. collaborators should be able to
insert data into cells, but not change column widths)

These options are not where you're looking, which is in *user
permissions*! You need to configure the options in the 'Protect Sheet'
dialog.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 7:18:03 PM UTC+2, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

fn8tto did you come right?

I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

--

Now in 22 countries
Download Zomato: iOS

This email is intended only for the person or the entity to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email
and contact the sender.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users are
allowed to do!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:29:30 PM UTC+8, GS wrote:
I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users are
allowed to do!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I don't think this works anymore. I'm not seeing any of those options at all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:29:30 PM UTC+8, GS wrote:
I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users
are allowed to do!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I don't think this works anymore. I'm not seeing any of those options
at all

In 2007 and later:
Review tab Changes group Protect Sheet
and set your options in the dialog that displays.

In older versions:
Tools Protection Protect Sheet...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

What is your excel version. What happens that makes you want to protect width?
Should all be the same or different widths for different columns? EXAMPLES
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 1:18:03 PM UTC-4, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

I'm having a similar situation where I want to be able to lock Column A to a certain size. The issue is that I have merged cells in rows 1-6, a table of 46 columns and 100 rows, and then ~40 characters of data in column A below the table. I want the table formatted for the info in the cells ignoring the cell data outside the table so when I re-size the table I dont end up with column A with a width of 34 yet only 7 characters of data.

Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Saturday, 9 May 2015 14:17:39 UTC+1, Don Guillett wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

What is your excel version. What happens that makes you want to protect width?
Should all be the same or different widths for different columns? EXAMPLES

I'm having the same issue. I want to lock column widths so that users can use a macro to print the sheet (rather than giving them complicated instructions on how to repeat the title row at the start of each page), and I need to stop them innocently changing the column widths and thereby spoiling how the printed version comes out. Now, I can lock the columns, but it also prevents the users from editing the contents, which is not what I want. How do I lock column widths but still allow other things to be edited?

My Excel version is 2010

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just in case anyone is still having issues...I just tried it in Excel 2013 and it works:

I selected the entire print area to start. Then I Right clickProtection tabuncheck 'Locked.
With the selection still highlighted...Click on REVIEW tabProtect sheet. From the list allow everything except 'format columns'
--Hit OK (If you need you can assign a password..)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

****s

--
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and
confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

I tried this however if I get the column widths locked, I cannot type into any of the cells. I have Windows 2010.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, this is an old thread. I can't find the "the list allow everything except 'format columns' and 'format rows'" option.

Is it possible the feature been removed?