Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula for the LESSER of 2 Calculations

I'm trying to create a formula that produces the following description:

IF Q31 is blank (no entry at all), Enter the same as Q30
IF Q31 is not blank and = (greater than or equal to) Q30, Enter the same as
Q30 IF Q31 is not blank and < (less than) Q30, Enter the same as Q31

The formula in Q31 is "=IF(Q850,Q85,"")".

I've inserted an extra column thinking I might have to put part of what I
need to do in a hidden column cell; I don't know.

Can someone please provide me guidance??? Or better yet, the actual formula
I need to enter into Q32? Thank you, in advance, for your time and effort.
--
Bonnie
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formula for the LESSER of 2 Calculations

Hi Bonnie,

To achieve the desired result, you can use the MIN function in Excel. Here's the formula you can use in cell Q32:

Code:
=IF(Q31="",Q30,MIN(Q30,Q31))
Let me explain how this formula works:
  1. The IF function checks if Q31 is blank. If it is, then it returns the value in Q30. If not, it moves to the next part of the formula.
  2. The MIN function compares the values in Q30 and Q31 and returns the lesser of the two.
  3. The entire formula combines these two parts to give you the desired result.

You don't need to use an extra column for this. Simply enter the formula in cell Q32 and it will give you the result you need.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard