erika_323

Default How do I graph normal probability distributions in excel?

To anyone that will listen...I need serious help with excel and graphing. I
am taking statistics, and our instructor wants us to graph normal probability
distributions. I seem to be typing in the wrong information, although I am
not sure how. My book isn't very clear on how to do it, and neither do the
excel tutorials. I need this explained in PLAIN ENGLISH, as I am not overly
familiar with "computer lingo". The problem is: standard deviation=4.7,
mean=21.7 x is numbers 1-10, y is (in order) 25, 19, 17, 15, 20, 24, 30, 19,
16, 23. Please tell me what to type and where to put it in. (I have gotten
as far as going to fx, then "statistical", then NORMDIST. WHAT THEN???
Thank you!
Tushar Mehta

I am not sure what you are supposed to do. Maybe, check if the data
are normally distributed? If so, see Mike Middleton's
http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/middleton/demand.pdf

If you want to know how to plot a normal distribution curve for a known
mean and average see
Drawing a Normal curve
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...tion/index.htm

You may also want to check out XL's histogram capability (Tools | Data
Analysis Histogram)

One last comment. The average of the data 25, 19,...,16, 23 is 20.8
not 21.7

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions