Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default personal workbook

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Janis
Personal.xls is a hidden file created by Excel itself where you store macros
to be used each time Excel opens.
I would highly recommend you do not use this filename for your "personal
information" spreadsheet.

HTH
Michael M

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That sort of answered my question. I was confused because that is how you do
it on a Mac. That begs the question. How do I find this hidden
"personal.xls" workbook so I can store my personal macros in it? That was
the original reason for me trying to create that file in the first place.
thankx,

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you haven't you need to create it first, you can do that by recording a
dummy macro, just do toolsmacrorecord new macro and select personal macro
workbook, then stop the recording, then press Alt + F11, find the
personal.xls in the project pane to the left, double click the module and
delete whatever was recording, then you can put your macros there. Finally
when prompted to save it upon closing Excel select yes

Peo Sjoblom

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There
was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called
office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office
folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but
they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you create a Macro and select Personal Macro Workbook as the save in
location, it will put it there automatically.
After there is something in Personal.xls, you can got to Window / Unhide on
the Excel menu bar and this will open your Personal.xls.

HTH
Michael M

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Janis

You may not have one.

If you never recorded a macro to your Personal Macro Workbook you won't.

Start up Excel and a blank workbook.

ToolsMacroRecord new macro.

When the record macro dialog opens select "Personal Macro Workbook" from "store
in" dropdown.

Do a couple of things like copy a cell from one place to another or similar.

Hit the stop recording button.

You now have a Personal.xls stored in your Office XLSTART folder.

It will open hidden whenever Excel starts.

Your macros will be stored in there.

Hit Alt + F11 then CTRL + r to see the Personal.xls workbook and its modules.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

peo sjoblom - i created macro just to get personal workbook to function - all
ok, however I have 2 macros from this web site that I have in another
workbook that I now want to put into personal.xls. Currently they are filed
under "all open workbooks" - how to transfer to personal.xls?
--
claudia

"Janis" wrote:

I don't know if I have my personal.xls workbook set up right. There
was no
Excel File in my office directory. There are several files called
office
with a number. One of them looked like Excel so I created an Office
folder
and created a workbook called personal.xls.

When I open a workbook it seems to have access to these scripts but
they
don't seem to run.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Open all workbooks in question (Personal.xls will be opened automatically
when you start Excel)
Press Alt + F11, in the project pane to the left find the modules folder for
personal.xls, open it up by clicking the plus sign to the left of it, double
click the Module itself, delete any text if you haven't done that, now open
those other macros the same way, high light the code and copy it and paste
it into the module in personal.xls, do the same with the second macro, you
can paste it below the other code you just pasted or you can insert a new
module in personal.xls and paste it there in case you want to rename the
modules, when you are done you can remove the modules from the other
workbook or keep them. Then close the VBE with Ctrl + Q, finally close Excel
and when prompted if you want to save personal.xls select yes

Peo Sjoblom